Kenny Brown diff cooler - rattle noise?

Andy M

Established Member
For you guys who've installed the KB diff cooler:

Are you getting a clicking/rattling noise from the cooler (sounds like it is coming from the pump and not the cooler itself?)

I am getting a noise coming from somewhere in the cooler system?? this rattle/clicking noise presents itself as soon as you take off.... even when the cooler fan is not even on. Then when you stop the car, the noise goes away. I've tried turning on the cooler using my override switch and the fan comes on like it is supposed to... and again, I only get this noise when the car is moving, not when it is stationary??

Perplexed?? I will call Kenny Brown tomorrow about this? but I was just wondering if this normal operation for the diff cooler?

TIA!

mustangmad

Established Member
diff cooler

A differential cooler, huh? I've noticed several of you talking about them and I gotta ask; Do you really need them? Or is it another cool (no pun intended) piece of hardware? The Winston Cup guys run them and some of the enduro road racers use coolers, but on the street!? Hmmmmmm!

kevin

Re: diff cooler

Originally posted by mustangmad
A differential cooler, huh? I've noticed several of you talking about them and I gotta ask; Do you really need them? Or is it another cool (no pun intended) piece of hardware? The Winston Cup guys run them and some of the enduro road racers use coolers, but on the street!? Hmmmmmm!

a must have if ya run the car on the track. ford experienced burned diffs w/o it.

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Re: diff cooler

Originally posted by mustangmad

The 00Rs are running a different type of rear end than we are. I think they create a little more heat than the standard diff.

Andy M

Established Member
I called KB this morning and spoke to Tim over there and he asked me to unbolt the pump to see if it is the band that holds it onto the rubber bushings that is causing the problem. I will report back later on this?...

Andy M

Established Member
I found the culprit...

I isolated and know how to fix this problem. It turns out the steel braided lines (which the installer tie wrapped together) were rubbing against each other and creating this sound once the car got going. I suppose the vibration created on the lines by the movement of the car, plus any flexing during movement created this condition.

Anyway, I know how to fix it. I will be taking off all the tie wraps this weekend and replacing it with some small flat slim pieces of rubber in between each of the lines before I put on new tie wraps.

kevin

Re: Re: diff cooler

Originally posted by Dean99CobraV

The 00Rs are running a different type of rear end than we are. I think they create a little more heat than the standard diff.

i think this is right. also, the exhaust pipes bend mighty close to the diff. this creates added heat (the reason the 00r manual says to use header wrap in some areas at the rear)

Andy M

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: diff cooler

Originally posted by kevin

i think this is right. also, the exhaust pipes bend mighty close to the diff. this creates added heat (the reason the 00r manual says to use header wrap in some areas at the rear)
Kevin,

I will probably try to do this exhaust wrap this weekend. So, where do I get some of this header wrap material? I suppose a high performance shop... maybe Kenny Bumbera??

Howzit goin man?,, sounds like you had a few problems at the weekend event in Dallas but got them resolved? when will be coming back through Houston??

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Hey Andy,
I know this never happens in this forum, but I'm going to get a little off track here. Sorry Brian. :D

How did the CART parade go?

mustangmad

Established Member
diff cooler cont'd

You may be right about the trubs. In "95 and "96 the Cobra R's running the IMSA Motorola Cup had rear diff problems due to some bad advice from Ford (imagine that) re lubes and something else that I don't remember (exhaust fumes in the memory bank). Went through all kinds of setups. Maybe I should ask around and find out what the final solution was. It wasn't a cooler because IMSA wouldn't allow them. My '95 has a Detroit Locker.

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Hey Mustangmad. How do you like the Locker for Roadracing???

I have had them in trucks but never a race car. Does it do any weird stuff when entering a turn or exiting??

I think the reason the 00R's need the coolers is because of the stupid posi unit in it, creates alot of heat, and secondly, it has no axle tubes to cool the fluid.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Dean99CobraV
Hey Andy,
I know this never happens in this forum, but I'm going to get a little off track here. Sorry Brian. :D

How did the CART parade go?
Dean,

sorry for my delayed response on this? Guess I was asleep last time I looked at this thread?? :sleeping:

I ended up not being able to make the CART parade that day, as I had business to take care of instead... you know?, gotta keep the boss happy!

I did make it to the race on Sunday however... Man, if you have never been to a CART race and seen these wonderful machines up close, you haven't lived! They are unbelievable!! Close to 200 mph downtown in Houston in only a 9 block stretch on the long straight!!!! WHEW!! and they are very loud, even with earplugs on. I am planning on going again next year. And maybe I'll be asked to drive the R again in the parade, and maybe I can actually make it next time????

Users who are viewing this thread