Kind of a n00b question

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
But what exactly would need to be done if I felt like custom rigging either a turbo or a supercharger kit? Obviously a turbo setup would be run off the exhaust, but what kinda specifics need to be designed for the intake aspect when you are pushing the air to the engine? Is it just a simple matter of running some piping to the intake and calling it good, or is there a bit more involved?

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
But what exactly would need to be done if I felt like custom rigging either a turbo or a supercharger kit? Obviously a turbo setup would be run off the exhaust, but what kinda specifics need to be designed for the intake aspect when you are pushing the air to the engine? Is it just a simple matter of running some piping to the intake and calling it good, or is there a bit more involved?

Pretty much but you would want some type of cooler in their somewhere if you are running a turbo.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The critical part is matching the flow of the exhaust manifolds, the down pipe and other exhaust parts to eachother. Th biggest pain is the Y pipe that connects the two headers and where the turbo scavenges exhaust gas to turn it's self. There is a good deal of plumbing to be considered. D&D Motorsports has a pic of the kit in their add in MM&FF. I couldn't find one on the web just yet.

Bostard

Established Member
There is definitely alot more involved with supercharging or turbocharging a motor than just running the plumbing. Whenever you add more air to the motor you have to add more fuel. Depending on the car that usually involves bigger injectors, computer chips, bigger carb, etc.

If you are a forced induction guru and engineer, go for it. If not, then I'd definitely recommend going with a reputable kit. As far as the SC vs. Turbo? Everyone's got their own opinion. I'd personally go with the SC because there is less metal fabricating involved.

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
Good luck with making your own setup!! My friends and I tried to make a turbo setup for a '92 I think it was.....Mitsubishi Galant. LOL We used an old turbo from a 1.8L Jetta that I "came across". We DID get it to boost......then after we blew the motor, we realized that the RELEASE of boost is more important than the introduction of it. Do your homework before trying a home-made kit. BTW, it was actually pretty fast for about 5 seconds. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Users who are viewing this thread