Knocking Noise

2ndGearPull

Going Down So Smooth!
Established Member
Just wondering if any of you superduty owners had this problem.
When you hit bumps in the road you would here a "knocking or rattle nosie"
from the passenger front side of the truck. Would it be possible it is the lower ball joint??or maybe the shock?? The truck is a 2003 V-10. Thanks

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I know exactly what you are talking about. My father's 01 7.3L excursion doese the exact same thing. He replaced the shocks or struts (im really not sure what he did) but it didn't resolve the problem. He then replaced the wheel bearing and it helped some, Im really not sure why. I hope this helps in some way, at least you know your not alone.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I've heard it has to do with a heater door in the dash, but maybe that was something I dreamed up. I've only really noticed it when I lived in the trailer park during college going over the speed bumps and it was a thud. I tried chasing it down thinking it was a shock or spring bushing but no real luck.

2ndGearPull

Going Down So Smooth!
Established Member
Thanks Guys
I talked too a guy with a 99 p/s and he had the same noise. He had both ball joints replaced and that fixed the problem. So hopefully that is my problem.:(

Last edited:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I replaced all of my ball joints and looked over my front end when I did that. My wheel bearing are fine I've shook and moved everything around when its on the lift and still can't seem to find it. Might check on FTE or another ford site because I don't think its anything really serious and the $$ it takes for ball joints I'd hate to waste on a hunch.

2ndGearPull

Going Down So Smooth!
Established Member
Thanks guys for the ideas.
I got to wait for the snow to stop so I can check the truck on jack stands and get a better look under there.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Did ya find anything out about the noise yet? Im kinda curious also because my father's Excursion does the same thing.

2ndGearPull

Going Down So Smooth!
Established Member
Havent had the time to jack up the truck lately.Working too much OT.Somebody said to me that good chance it is the sway bar bushings. So I will let you know ASAP when I find what is going on.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Guy at work heard the same sound towards the rear, this was on a 99 F150.

Turned out to be one of his sway bar links were broke, as already mentioned.

2ndGearPull

Going Down So Smooth!
Established Member
Its fixed the sway bar bushings were the issue with the noise. Also while under there the balls joints needed to be replaced and while I was at it the dust cover (rubber) gaskets for the axle shafts needed to be replaced. What a expensive fix!!!!

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Well atleast you were able to fix the problem. Now we know where to start on ours. If ya don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to get fixed?

2ndGearPull

Going Down So Smooth!
Established Member
!!!PainTrain!!! said:
Well atleast you were able to fix the problem. Now we know where to start on ours. If ya don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to get fixed?

The sway bar bushings , upper and lower ball joints (both sides) , and new dust seals plus the front end alignment was $850 plus tax :cuss: but what are you going to do it had to be fixed. What a difference when driving it now..the truck feels like its brand new. Oh well like I always say "If your going to play..Your going to pay!!!"

Last edited:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Thats not that bad of a price really. I got my ball joints at cost, seals, and whatnot and had close to 300 dollars, the ball joints were a pita all day job for me.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Well, atleast the price was worth it. I mean if it makes it drive like new, I will pay the $850.

Users who are viewing this thread