Largest tire on a 5.0

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
hey, i have a 90 mustang GT hatch and i have a gear, looser convertor, and alot of bolt ons. Well it's an understatement to say i have traction problems. i hope to help remedy this problem by gettins some bigger hooser's, DOT legal. There are like 275/?? 15 in jegs and wanted to know if they would fit? if not what is the biggest that will fit.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I've got 275's on my 87'. Just took off the quad shocks and put some 1/4" wheels spacers on and I have enough clearance to probably fit some 295 or 305's. I wouldnt go any larger then 245's up front though.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
They should clear the slicks if that's what you mean. The radius only goes out to the drum. I'm not sure what brand they are. Just a thin piece of metal. I don't see why they wouldn't be safe or illegal.

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
actually, just turn your quad shocks around so the thin part is at the top/back where the wheel/tire combo would meet. this should get you anything up to a 275 on the rear with no clearance problems. anything bigger is time to remove the quads and go with a different rear setup to keep the tires from hopping. I dont advise you take the quads off and not replace them with something or you will start having problems with wheel hop and that shit can break axles if you arent careful. those quads help keep your tires planted. just my .02

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
oh and as for the wheel spacers, just make sure you get the proper backspacing on the wheels and you dont need the spacers.

Jkstang78

Established Member
You cna get away with a 10.5 tire on a mustang with the quad shock taken off. I run 26/10.5/15 at the drag strip.

Users who are viewing this thread