Lean Condition: Will Data Logging Help???

dsmith26

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I'm not a tuner (obviously from the title) as I strongly feel like the life of my car should be in the hands of a professional.

The other day I was giving someone a ride and did a hard pull and she performed as expected however on the second pull (couldn't stop while i was ahead) it seemed way down on power so I let out. I got home and pulled the plugs and it seems to be running lean. So I'm thinking either a fuel pump took a crap or my BAP quit working. Will I be able to determine which of these is causing my lean condition with data logging?? I've never data logged so I'm clueless in this department. If so, can you tell me what parameters I should be looking at to determine the issue??

Thanks Fellas!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Datalogging will be able to tell you what's going on. You can watch your fuel pressure, duty cycle, and voltage drop. It'll give you an idea what's going on. But it won't specically tell you what component it is. Once you have a better understanding as to what's happening you can start diagnosing.

Get yourself a wideband installed. They're worth the money.

dsmith26

Established Member
Thank You!

So can I assume that if duty cycle is close to 100% and fuel pressure drops off, the BAP isn't working?? Conversely, could I assume a fuel pump is bad if the voltage doesn't drop but the fuel pressure does??

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you're reading close to 100% I would disconnect the BAP and compare the readings. If they don't change then I would assume the BAP is bad. If you disconnect it and things get worse then I would assume the fuel pump is bad. I don't have any experience with the BAP, so that's just saying how I would try it.

dsmith26

Established Member
OK, I'll try this. I remember the duty cycle was 68% max on the dyno with the BAP (100% at 4800rpm prior to BAP).

Thanks again for the help.

mustangmike1

Established Member
Thank You!

So can I assume that if duty cycle is close to 100% and fuel pressure drops off, the BAP isn't working?? Conversely, could I assume a fuel pump is bad if the voltage doesn't drop but the fuel pressure does??
We had a similar problem and it ended up being a kinked rubber hose on the pprv delete. We used clamps on the kink when installing but over time it still kinked beside it. You should be able to get a rough idea by datalogging on what the problem is.

Users who are viewing this thread