Let's delve into this Vented Hood a bit, shall we?

KingKobra

Established Member
Ok, hood mod or not, when you hose off the car, water runs in the hood vents and ends up somewhere.

Basic theorectical stuff: The plastic flaps (baffles): Are they functional? Do they really move the water that much further towards the front, thereby avoiding the pulley? What is the first thing the water falls on when the mod is performed as Postban describes? How about on an unmodded hood setup.

I'd appreciate any and all theories... I'll gather my opinion from all of yours. I for one, think that the hood mod what we should have had to begin with. I don't find the stock setup to be 'functional'.

Key question: How do the hood vent flaps (baffles) and hood blanket really change the behaviour of where water falls?

:read:

3rdstang

Established Member
Well I just put a thread up about what I found when I took mine off. Look for the thread a few threads down...From the looks of peeking under the hood when it is raised an inch or 2 the vents are over the radiator but not 100% certain. Also, it looks to me in Postbans pictures his baffles and the small latches to secure them are metal. Mine are all plastic and cheap ones at that. I almost broke one off just opening the vent up the first time.:shrug:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
The only time water got into my hood was during dealer make-ready. One wash and I had flattened golf ball sized bulges in the liner, where the openings of the vents were (in both outside corners. The hood blanket is lined with an aluminum sheet, so any water that enters runs down to the opening in the felt.

I opened the vents to the size of the flaps, and then removed the flaps. Prior to mod, almost no heat would come out of the vents. After, an unbelievable amount of heat comes out of the vents.

I cover the vents with towels when I wash...

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
what would be the problem with just taking off that black crap? seems to me that it will retain heat and decrease performance... justmy take but is there anything wrong with removing it? Help a newbie out here... plus its worth like 6 lbs lol

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by GreyCobra_03
what would be the problem with just taking off that black crap? seems to me that it will retain heat and decrease performance... justmy take but is there anything wrong with removing it? Help a newbie out here... plus its worth like 6 lbs lol

Good question! Hood blankets serve one or more of the following:
1) They keep heat off the hood - over time, the cycling of heat, cool, heat,cool can either cause cracks or fatigue the paint. This is especially true of cold climates.

2) They reduce interior and exterior noise by absorbing mechanical noise

3) They protect the hood from minor mechanical failures (example, brake fluid, a snapped belt whipping against the underside of the hood)

4) They shield the car electrically - the Cobra has a composite hood with no ability to shield Electromagnetics. This can cause inteference to the radio, esp AM, or to other cars. It is even possible that it could interfere with sensors.

So, it is a crap shoot for the 2003, and the only advice I would give is for someone to try it, and keep reporting back. I am keeping mine, with Postban's and my own mods.

Users who are viewing this thread