Lets play "What if"

Wild Bill

Established Member
broeli said:
I REALLY don't understand this thinking. A 07 GT500 isn't even remotely the same as the 68(or whatever year) Shelby you've wanted since you were 7. You just want a Mustang with the Shelby name on it? I guess it is just a token to Fords marketing genious on this car by slapping the Shelby GT500 nameplate on the newest "Cobra".
It's no different than me going out and buying a new '06 Charger with the modern hemi and saying "ahh, I finally have that 'hemi Charger I wanted back in 69". No you don't. There is nothing similar about them...
Are you on crack?Its very much like the old one in every respect.No new car will be identical to a car made almost 40yrs ago but I dont really see how a car could be closer to the original.
Your statement couldnt be farther from the truth...think about it.

Wild Bill

Established Member
Purvis said:
With all due respect,
Why is anything you dont agreee with backhanded? I have alot of respect for your technical knowledge, and I know you are trying your hardest to defend this car from all the haters, but all Im trying to do is be a realist about this cars capabilities.. Im not "hateing" at all.

I dont agree with taking the word of a Ford publication (about a Ford product) over what everyone else is saying in the automotive press.

You want to base your opinion on what could very well be propaganda, based on a prototype no less? Well, that is up to you. Personally, I have been baseing my opinions on Car and Driver's results for a good 20 years now, and I have found their results to be very consistent to real world results with every day drivers. How do I know this?.. Because I have compared C&D results to about 15 of my own stock Mustangs (and various other cars) over the years, and the results are always very close to what I see at the track. (I usually go a tick faster)

Have you ever heard of the term "ringer"?
I find it absolutely ridiculous that some of you are ignoring the real tests with a production car, and clinging to a Ford Publication's results, about their own prototype car. Take the production car for what it is.. A high 12 second car from the factory with normal drivers. Is that really so bad?

Will the car go faster in an optimal scenerio? Most certaintly it will, in the real world. But stock, this car is simply, not as fast as most of us had anticipated, based on the three articles. You can run around being pissed off all you want, saying the mags are full of BS, etc....but I didnt make the car, or even test the car. I dont work for any of the mags either.. I just hapen to trust the mags from my own personal experience, especially C&D..

Based on what the mags ran, I think average drivers will have their hands full with this car, and will be lucky to see 12's their first time to the track. You disagree? Thats fine.. Its just my opinion. :dw: And its certainly not "Back handed"
Of all the mags to list as the one you base your opions on!?They are the worst drivers of all the mags.They can hardly break into the 12s in any car.I think their favorite number must be 13.2!Should be renamed...Car&Hamfists!

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
I would not worry about the GT500 not performing. The key to mustang being so successful is the aftermarket tuning market. Its a huge business, if you don't believe me, go to the 2006 SEMA show and checkout that industry's flagship event. I would suspect GM to bring out some more cars for us to compete with. I am noticing another horsepower war like there was in the late 60's to early 70's. I want to see someone lighten up the GT500 and see how it does on the roadcourses.

Dave

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Pegilyn said:
Of all the mags to list as the one you base your opions on!?They are the worst drivers of all the mags.They can hardly break into the 12s in any car.I think their favorite number must be 13.2!Should be renamed...Car&Hamfists!
They ran 12.9 in the 03 Cobra.
And they ran 12.4 in the 2002 Zo6..

I could go on and on.. :sleeping:

Users who are viewing this thread