Locked & Loaded - Ford Introduces Electronic Line-Lock Feature on the 2015 Mustang

EditorTurner

Established Member

Ford officially introduces its electronic line-lock feature on the 2015 Mustang

By Steve Turner
Photos and video courtesy of Ford Motor Company

Even if you aren’t in love with the styling of the 2015 Mustang yet, Ford has finally confirmed the long-rumored availability of an electronic line-lock feature on the forthcoming 2015 Mustang. Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak made the official announcement at the Mustang 50th Celebration in Charlotte, North Carolina.

After years of destroying rear brake pads in the name of burnout photos and drag strip launches, this is one surprise-and-delight feature that makes us want to buy a 2015 Mustang (or two) right now!
“Competition has been an integral part of the Ford Mustang lifestyle since its earliest days 50 years ago,” Steve Ling, Ford car marketing manager. “We know our customers, and we wanted to provide a unique feature for those wishing to take full advantage of the increased capability offered by this new Mustang GT at the drag strip.”

With the return of an independent rear suspension to the Mustang, it is reassuring that Ford hasn’t forgotten Mustang’s passionate straight-line enthusiasts.
“We’re using advanced controls technology for the all-new Mustang to provide some of our most dedicated fans with an industry-first feature they can use when they go to the track,” Dave said, Mustang chief engineer. “With electronic line-lock, customers who drive their Mustangs to work all week and then compete on the weekends will appreciate not having to modify their brake systems to be able to do effective tire prep at the drag strip.”

If you aren’t familiar with how a line-lock works, it simply clamps down the front brakes to hold the car in place, but leaves the rear wheels free to spin. With the line lock engaged, you can rev up the engine, dump the clutch, and the rear tires will spin until they smoke. Not only do burnouts look cool, but they also heat up the rear tires to promote traction on a drag strip. In the old days, you had to either install an aftermarket line lock, or use a heel/toe technique to engage all the brakes and just overpower the rears, which is obviously rough on rear brake pads.
“Whether a customer wants to take weekend road trips, go road racing or compete in grassroots drag racing, we aim to maximize the driving experience for everyone,” Dave said. “Mustang offers selectable drive modes for those who prefer to compete on road courses or in autocross events, so when we realized we could provide a really cool feature like electronic line-lock that no one else offers, the decision was easy – ‘Let’s do it!’”

We certainly can’t wait to try it, but Ford does caution that this feature is only designed for the race track and that racing your vehicle will void your warranty. As such, smoke ’em at your own risk, but we are sure a lot of people will throw caution to the wind just to use this great new feature.

[video=youtube;O3nbwCjZKk8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3nbwCjZKk8[/video]​

Last edited:

mike69440

Established Member
Huh?

Ford officially introduces its electronic line-lock feature on the 2015 Mustang

By Steve Turner
Photos and video courtesy of Ford Motor Company

We certainly can’t wait to try it, but Ford does caution that this feature is only designed for the race track and that racing your vehicle will void your warranty. As such, smoke ’em at your own risk, but we are sure a lot of people will throw caution to the wind just to use this great new feature.

[video=youtube;O3nbwCjZKk8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3nbwCjZKk8[/video]​

If Ford is denying this on grounds of abuse, how can they legally offer such an option.

In and of itself, this option should not be any grounds for denying warrantee, as the product should be designed to operate with the features offered.

Now if Ford can demonstrate reasonable proof of abuse, that's another thing.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I find it highly interesting that they would promote track use and a feature like this. Pretty damn cool. Hopefully there will not be some silly stipulations like the GT-R had with the launch control and warranty.

EditorTurner

Established Member
I'm no lawyer. All I can tell you is the official press release says this:

"Electronic line-lock for 2015 Mustang GT is intended for use only on racetracks. Racing your vehicle will void your warranty."

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'm no lawyer. All I can tell you is the official press release says this:

"Electronic line-lock for 2015 Mustang GT is intended for use only on racetracks. Racing your vehicle will void your warranty."

Pretty cut and dry. I'm also sure that since it's a track app feature, the dealer can find out if the line lock feature was ever activated.

EditorTurner

Established Member
I'm sure they will know. The warranty angle is unfortunate, but it is still really cool that a major company would even offer such a feature.

Jabooh1

Established Member
My Boss Laguna Seca is cover on the road course unless it is a timed event. The warranty is what is written no matter how silly.

Users who are viewing this thread