Looking at a SHO

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
If its a ATX, then I suggest you ask about the tranny, and being its over 110mi I suggest you ask if a tune up has been done on it, ie waterpump.

If its a MTX, I suggest you ask about the clutch, and if the 60k has been done.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Lots of stuff....

First question is the 60k (which consist of valve shims, timing belt, wp, cps). The valves are usually not out of spec, but the coating on the shims wears down, and starts to wear the cam lobes. Timing belt, depnds on if it's atx or mtx. ATX have a 'automatic' belt tensioner, and can go longer between changing where as the mtx can not. Water pump usually causes the cps to go out (it leaks on top of it) so while your int there might as well change them along with the crank seal too.

Second as J said is the tranny issue. If it is an ATX, ask if its ever been rebuilt. MTX, well, its probably gonna need rebuilt / and or a clutch. The new thing about the MTX is the issue with parts. They are becoming very limited. Clutch is another abvious.

AFter that, its pretty much like any other car. But for 2k what do you expect?? Just remember if you come to the SHO WORLD, have your pocket book open:beer:

Also, check out www.shotimes.com they have a used sho write up hidden somwhere in there.

Last edited:

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Hey guys appreciate the info, Im going down tomorrow to look at it more, I cant believe it Stabie you convinced me to seriously look at one blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh :p :D Its a ATX, has the black rims aka non slicers, has a little bit of rust and the front drivers seat shows lots of use.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Black rims that aren't slicers/?? WTF??? tell me it doesn't have the baskets on it....

A benefit on the 94/95s is the ATX is a tad bit stronger than the 93s, and the brakes are a bit bigger (10.4ish v 10.8ish) and the 96 upgrade is alot cheaper

Daniel Moran

Established Member
The biggest recurring problem I've had with my 94 MTX SHO has been the parking brake cables corroding, first the right than the left, jamming and warping the rotors. I've run Redline or Amsoil in the trans since 18k and it still works like new (at 110k). The factory clutch lasted to 105k. The motor has gotten Mobil 1 every 4k, uses a qt. between changes, and is very strong. This has been a very stout car and has been my daily driver since early 98.

GUNMETAL-SHO

Established Member
Your new acquistion

:mj: :thumbsup: This is the car that I own and its a mean thing!
Things to look for?
1)Check all your sensors: 4- o2 sensors, MAF sensor, water pump
altenator, cataylic convertor.
they seem like little things but they can hold you back. Your horsepower can loose 15-20 if you have bad o2 sensors or bad injectors. Listen this is one of my favorite cars, I built one from the ground up new transmission, motor mounts, new interior
new flowmaster exhaust(soon to be BORLA) they dont make one to fit our cars anymore but we are building one as Im writing this to you.

If you have any Questions contact me at my shop:
Imaginationz Auto & Music Accessories
716-573-3407
E-mail:[email protected]

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
On 89-95 SHOs there is only two O2 sensors..............

GUNMETAL-SHO

Established Member
Parts (o2 sensors)

:lol:
Trust me there are 4 o2 sensors there are two for the outtake and two for the intake the motorcraft models are listed at $138.00
a piece I went to one of my distributors and he showed me the diagram on his computer. Im not going to pay that much for them though the sensors are so well hidden its hard to find them but they are there.
Hit me back!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Look Again...

On the 96-99 SHOs, there probably is4, due to the OBDII on the cars, but again......there is only 2 on Gen I & II SHOs.........

ryancutler

Established Member
Re: Look Again...

Originally posted by RTStabler51
On the 96-99 SHOs, there probably is4, due to the OBDII on the cars, but again......there is only 2 on Gen I & II SHOs.........
W3RD, unless they've got some hidden INSIDE the exhaust manifold...
and TRUST ME, I've changed the TWO of them...:rollseyes

ryancutler

Established Member
Andersen Windows....

Originally posted by sohowcome
Hey why dont you like anderson windows??? just curious

-Zach
I have no problem with their products, just the way that they treat their employees..
I worked there as 'temporary help' for about 5 months last summer. I worked my ASS off for them and made a decent amout of money. Right after I got laid off, I put in an application for full-time, and an application for this years summer 'temp' work. Still haven't heard from them (although they did hire people for full time that had never worked there in their lives).. 5 of my buddies are now working there as summer help, and still no call to me...

Sorry, I just hate that company with a passion... I would make a website completely bashing them, but I'm sure I'd get sued..

I've tried to call them and follow up with my applications, they just tell me, "We'll call YOU if we need to talk to you!!":mj:

:xpl: andersen windows

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
wanan work for our company??? Were you selling products???? I work for a company called Acri and we sell a product made by a company called Thermal Industries, frankly I feel Anderson is highly overated crap, their windows are subpar, they leak adn rot after about 10 years, not to mention their seals are crappy too!!

hehe sorry :)

-Zach

ryancutler

Established Member
wanna work for our company??? Were you selling products???? I work for a company called Acri and we sell a product made by a company called Thermal Industries, frankly I feel Anderson is highly overated crap, their windows are subpar, they leak and rot after about 10 years, not to mention their seals are crappy too!!

hehe sorry :)

-Zach
I resent the crappy window's remark, (I probably made those j/k)
If you've got a branch of your company in western wisconsin, tell me where to apply...

I wasn't selling the windows, I was doing the grunt work for the company...

Take 'er easy...
and if she's that easy....take her twice...
:coolman:

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by ryancutler

I resent the crappy window's remark, (I probably made those j/k)
If you've got a branch of your company in western wisconsin, tell me where to apply...

I wasn't selling the windows, I was doing the grunt work for the company...

Take 'er easy...
and if she's that easy....take her twice...
:coolman:
:lol: :lol: :lol: hehehe sorry bout that, I believe in a company that takes care of its employees bonusing them on good work, good output and overall good employee behavior. The company that manufacturers are windows does. BTW we work all the way up to madison wisconsin. Dont know where you fit in that area......

ryancutler

Established Member
:lol: :lol: :lol: hehehe sorry bout that, I believe in a company that takes care of its employees bonusing them on good work, good output and overall good employee behavior. The company that manufacturers are windows does. BTW we work all the way up to madison wisconsin. Dont know where you fit in that area......
Don't worry about it, I don't take many things personally.... I'm actually about 40 min. east of St. Paul/Minneapolis MN...

Users who are viewing this thread