Looking to settle in NC

03cobraracer

Established Member
Hey guys I'm originally from NJ and currently living in Germany as I'm in the military. I visited the Raleigh area once before and I loved it. I really like the state and want to possibly settle there after I get out of the army soon. Nj is crazy expensive and over crowded I hate it I wanna own land and have a nice place for my family to grow. What I wanna know is what are some places that are great to live and why? I've been to Raleigh and Cary and a few other places in the general area and it was nice but I have a friend who lives in mooresville and also said it was nice there. Trying to get an idea of some places since I'm overseas and can't come visit for myself lol. I'll listen to anyone's opinion about anywhere would love to hear them. Not sure what I wanna do for work yet either continue law enforcement or maybe a more normal easy going job so I can see my family more. Enough yapping lets here it guys!

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
Thanks for your service. I moved from Pittsburgh 10 years ago. lived in the Greensboro area for 6 years and been to Raleigh and Cary many times. All nice. Moved to Wilmington NC 4 years ago to be closer to the beach but if I had it to do over I would go to the Greensboro or Raleigh area. Moorsville is to far west unless you want to be closer to the mountains.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I live in the Greensboro area. I hate it. I have lived in the Charlotte area, out in the country, and loved it. The people, for the most part, in Greensboro suck! They can't drive, they are lazy as hell. Not a good area, in my opinion. Mooresville is a very cool area, close to Charlotte, lots to do, Lake Norman. I have been to some nice areas in Raleigh area. If I were you, take a trip to Mooresville, and check it out, you may or may not like it. I would suggest looking out in the country of any area you choose, as city taxes suck balls.

03cobraracer

Established Member
So far some great info guys I appreciate it. City taxes suck I'm sure but can't be as bad as nj taxes, my parents pay $9k a year in property taxes it's insane.

MXKON

Established Member
Living here, I have to suggest Charlotte NC.
It really doesnt feel like all to big of a city, and plenty of land can be found on the outskirts, but with pretty decent economy and some higher end areas, the selection might not be huge (like in DC for instance) but you can pretty well find anything you would like to, and that convenience is pretty nice.

jwt390030

Established Member
Left Charlotte over a year ago. Didn't care for it one bit. Live in Raleigh now. There is a ton to do. Downtown is great. The area is growing rapidly with all of the tech companies coming to RTP and you are two hours or less from the beach. Great people, awesome breweries and pretty rad car scene at cars and coffee.

AlviGT83

Established Member
You've got most the good areas named already...Cary/Apex/Holly Springs. You'll be the closest to Jordan Lake if you live in Apex, thats what started to draw me towards the general area. All of them are similar in cleanliness, but I'd suggest looking for the best schools and go from there. Good luck!

Last edited:

Mjavant1985

Figgy (Cam) Newton
Established Member
I will throw in my opinion as well, I would suggest the Piedmont area (Greensboro,Winston,High Point) area. Not necessarily in those particular cities, because I wouldn't want to live in the city, but maybe a smaller city in the area. You would be in the middle of the state, 3 hours from the beach, 3 from the mountains. There is a pretty decent car scene around the area, and you would still only be 45 minutes from Charlotte for the big shows and meets.

Users who are viewing this thread