Loose Steering wheel and No reading on temp gauge

bullitt1672

Established Member
Well i just bought an 88' GT (my first mustang) tonight and had a few questions. First off the temp gauge does not read anything. All of the other gauges work fine but the temp just hangs down below 130. What could the problem be? a bad sensor somewhere or just a bad gauge? If its the gauge i'll probably just some aftermarket ones to put on the pillar. My next question is the steering wheel, believe its a tilt wheel, is LOOSE. It has quite a bit of side to side to side play (shaking the wheel back and forth not moving it turning circular motion as if turning the wheel to move the tires, and top and bottom play. The guy said to take the wheel of and tighten some bolts which i'll do that tomorrow, but didn't know if it could be anything more. Another thing is that when downshifting to 2nd, it doesnt want to go into to gear. Sometimes it will but other times it wont. Ive tried different techniques like double clutching and blipping the throttle but they are ineffective. The guy i bought it from said the tranny is freshly rebuilt with only 100 miles on and it has a zoom clutch. Thanks in advance guys! i'll have pics up tomorrow in the buffet after she gets a bath!

oh yeah the drivers seat leans pretty bad to left..Will i just need a new seat or is there an easy fix to that by using some washers or something like that.

Thanks again!

**sorry MODS i posted in the the fox body cobra section as well, please erase that one**

TX93Cobra

Established Member
haha well i answered on ur other one but it could be that coolant temp sensor on the manifold or you can just see if the wire that leads to it is even hooked up... it just slides onto what looks like a screw on the sensor on the driver side.

bullitt1672

Established Member
ha yeah i saw your post over there too! Thanks for the tip i'll look into it once the weather clears up. But like you said, i'll probably just get some aftermarket gauges anyhow. just deciding on whether to put them on the pillar or the down below the cd player..

TX93Cobra

Established Member
you can also get guages that replace the center air vents which i think look the best.

4valvemach

Established Member
you can also get guages that replace the center air vents which i think look the best.

^^^+1000

1.temp gauge is it plugged in(drivers side of distributor in intake manifold)
2.you should be able to tighten the steering wheel
3.syncros going out (backyard rebuild??)
4.my 90GT the seat was also broken from owner falling into seat instead of sitting into the seat.The floor itself was broken and I just used flat steel with a hole drilled.
(I just rigged it LOL)

Last edited:

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
i have the loose steering wheel as well
what is the fix for this do i need to pull the steering wheel
to tighten it or is there access holes to get a socket in there
1987 5.0

plus i have a fuel gauge that moves up and down
but when you cycle the the ignition on and off it will read but when you
start the car sometimes it just goes back down to empty