Loud whine from the Shifter area. (only sometimes)

03Redfire Cobra

Toss my salad?
Established Member
This dosent happen all the time just occasionally. Its always when I am crusing on the highway and then all of a sudden I get a very loud whine from the shifter area. It almost sounds like loud wind noise but I know its not that. There are 2 things I can do to remedy it..

1. Drop it to 3rd and hit the gas hard for a second. It then goes away

2. Pull over and stop the car. and it goes away

This started happening right after I bought it. Maybe 1 time per 1,000 miles. But it seems to be more getting more frequent. To try to remedy it I changed the tranny fluid @ about 3k miles to Redline. I am at a loss. Any Ideas?

Thanks... Evan

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
it happens to me too, I just ignore it. You can also hold the shifter hard into the gear and it will go away. I just ignore it, it doesnt happen that often, mostly when it is cold out I think

akaeric

Established Member
I know that if a rearend gears aren't lined up properly they can cause a Whine in the rear end maybe you all have a gear out of tollerance enough to cause the noise. Mine dosn't do and hope it doesen't start one more thing I can think of is your running to slow for that gear that can cause gear noise if your running to low of rpm. I have a Tri-ax now and with some moding and insulating I don't get much noise rich this shifter is known for. I had a Hurst in it first and if you laid your hand on the shifter with a little pressure it would hit the stop bolt and make a noise. Its funy that we have four of you with the same problem maybe you all should compare build dates you might have the bulder or lot of tranmissions. I know that SVT stopped the assembly line at one point for about a month due to poor craftmanship or something wasn't right I don't remmber the date I think I saw it on the ford forum. I'm a little nerves bacause mine was built early it was built in June I have the cold tick. Maybe you should try to take it in and see maybe they know something about it. It sounds like a gear isn't lined up and the bad thing about the drive train is that sound can travel so it could even be in the rearend and traveling up the drive shaft into the transmission.

03Redfire Cobra

Toss my salad?
Established Member
I had my rear end whine when I had a Z28. So I know what rear whine sounds like. This sound is definitely coming from the shifter area.

~Evan~

Users who are viewing this thread