Lower idler pulley, belt look normal here?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just curious if this is normal. Looks like its on the edge of the idler, almost like the idler is offset incorrectly. Its a caged 4# lower setup. If theres another idler out there that will allow the belt to be more centered im all ears. I was revving it to 4-5K and it got very close to the edge like it wanted to walk right off the front.
If its normal great, if i need a different idler then someone please give me suggestions. I believe it's a 70mm idler from my measurement.
CD031099-1497-498C-9707-91A69F2656A6.jpeg
B1784A16-520C-486F-868D-865EEBBD5D99.jpeg

MG0h3

Established Member
I’m not worried about that as much as the frayed edge of belt.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
That is actually a BRAND NEW belt. You think it could have gotten frayed from revving it a little bit in the garage?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I don't think you can put a washer behind that one. I just took it off and there's only room for the idler to go on the nub. Any water there and you wouldn't be able to have the idler on all the way.

olympic

Established Member
You likely have a pulley alignment problem with the alternator. The alternator is too far forward. Take a straight edge (yard stick, piece of flat iron) and place it across the crank pulley and place the other end near the alternator pulley. It'll give you an idea of whether or not the alt is out of alignment.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
I’ve seen some new belts have a little fraying like that. If it was like that new, don’t sweat it

Have you changed anything recently that may have changed the pulley alignment?

There’s not much that can happen in that short span between the lower and that idler. I’ll take a look but I think mine is about like that

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I use to put a washer behind the alternator pulley. But when i did that it wouldn't allow me to put the locking washer on the alternator and thus causing the nut to eat into my alternator pulleys. I've gone through 2 cause of this. Anyway I tried no shims at the track recently and shredded 2 belts.

So present day I stuck a washer that is almost 1/8" thickness to shim the alternator outward. It seems to be doing great from revving the throttle to about 5k, as i was doing this i noticed that littler idler pulley next to the crank pulley, the belt got close to the edge during the revs but never off or anything. I was just wondering if there was a different 70mm idler pulley out there that kind of offset it more so the belt rode in the center more.

efnfast

Established Member
I recall my belt was a little close to the edge on an idler (all OEM parts except s/c pulley) so I think that's normal?

Users who are viewing this thread