Lowering question

lilprime

Established Member
I just put 18" 2003 cobra wheels on my 2000 GT and I was wondering what the best lowering kit is. I talked to a guy over the weekend with a 2001 GT that has 18's also and he has a 1.5" drop. It looked great. Im just not sure what kit to buy. I want the whole 9 yards though. Springs, shocks and struts. Any help is appreciated.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Eibach sportlines to slam you down and give you a decent ride. Lower then the pro kit and the ride is smoother. You'll see about a 1 3/4" drop. Shocks and struts...not sure. I haven't personally looked in to performance shocks and struts. But KONI's are expensive so...

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
I have Sportlines and it looks great, no thanks to the 'woreslapthef*ckout' factory shocks and struts that are still on it. But considering you want to go all out, like I am now doing, I suggest going with coilovers, adjust your height to what suits you best while attaining a better suspension system than a factory setup.

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
What kind of setup are you looking to go for, Drag, or Road Course?

I have the Sportline springs on my 87 with factory shocks and struts. It's on jackstands as we speak awaiting the tubular K-member, A-arms, Lakewood Shocks and Struts, Adjustable upper controls, caster camber plates, and a full coil over setup. This is obviously my straightline performance car.

On the '02 which is setup for road handling, it is equipped with Bilstein shocks/struts, Maximum Motorsports Coilover kit, MM Strut tower brace, and MM Caster Camber plates, all sitting on Nitto triple 5's. I couldn't be more impressed with this setup for horizontal traction.

You can go as far as your wallet can take you depending on what kind of performance you are looking for. Just let me know what your interest is.

Last edited:

lilprime

Established Member
Well I really just want to have an everyday car that is reliable for the most part. I dont want to be tearing up tires cuz my alignment isnt right or my front tires are all bowed out from the drop. I want a nice smooth look and Im not too particular with the feel of the ride. I know you have to sacrifice feel for looks mostly. This is the last stop before performance so I want a good kit. I wont be doing any road courses so mild strip is cool. I was looking into the Progress Group springs and the Tokico Illumina shocks and struts. Just not sure on the drop distance. Im pretty sure Ill go with a 1.5" drop though. Thanks again for your help man.

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
I suggest you get caster camber plates regardless. You can adjust the pitch and placement of your wheels that way. Also you may have to look into offset rack bushings and a bump steer kit to keep your steering tight. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

lilprime

Established Member
Ok Im looking into coilovers now....are there any drawbacks to this? What about installation? Is it fairly easy or should I let someone else do it?I see you said you have coilovers on the '02.Is this the whole suspension kit or will I need new shocks and struts with the coilover kit? Thx.

Last edited:

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
Coilovers are top of the line for suspension setups, far better than any factory setup. Installation is IMO fairly easy but depends on your experience. You can buy just a coilover setup:

http://www.dndmotorsports.com/?page...7&ps_session=bcd219cc297cad0642f297bd7031fdb7

or you can buy a full kit which I don't think D&D supplies. Maximum Motorsports has nice sealed kits but you also pay for the quality. Full kits usually includes anything from the coilovers and shocks to all out Caster/Camber plates and control arms, but all of that really depends on the vendor. I do suggest getting new shocks and struts with a coilover kit but it really isn't a neccesity and probably isn't neccassary for what your looking for, you'll just have to see if they give you what you expected before adding more parts, that way you can save money. The coilover kits have adjustable ride height so you can nail the perfect stance depending on your preference and performance, as well as endless spring rates. I'm not too sure on what rates you will need for your car but I'm sure a representative can help you out on that, just let them know what you have in mind performance wise. Caster/Camber plates are a must for any lowered vehicle, especially coilover setups. Depending on the amount of drop you will have to also look into offset rack bushings which will probably work good enough in your case, or you can go even further and get a bumpsteer kit. Basically both of these eliminate toe change during suspension travel and keep your steering nice and tight. It really costs money if you want to do it right, but to most people like myself, it's the only way to go. It all really depends on what you can afford, which is why my car will never stop being a 'project.' I wrote this in a rush so if you have any more questions or i left something unclear feel free to let me know. :beer:

Last edited:

lilprime

Established Member
Man youve been a real help. Far better response than Ive gotten elsewhere. Do you have yahoo instant messenger? If so my name is lilprime2. Thanks so much. We will have to talk about your setup one day. Looks like you have a pretty badass car there.Ill look into it some more and ask away if I have any more questions. You must love this stuff. Lol. Have a good day.

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
No problem at all :beer: I don't have Yahoo messenger but I do have AIM and MSN Messenger if you ever wanted to get up for a chat. Suspension is often overlooked, a problem I use to have until recently, it's cool to see that you are starting out with it. It really is quite interesting stuff. I'm glad I've helped out so much so far, and I will continue to help you as much as I can. Take care! :)

lilprime

Established Member
Damn I deleted AIM. Just doesnt compare to YIM to me. All the same I guess. Im gonna look into the coilovers and all and I might put AIM back on my pc cuz Im sure to have more questions. Whats your screen name?

kennym01

Established Member
Eibach pro kit w/ mach 1 tokicos, 18" 03' cobra wheels. 1.5" drop no cc plates. Rides great!
379923_9_full.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread