LS Series vs Voodoo

Alter Ego

It's my understanding that the LS series engine is roughly 25lbs lighter than the coyote. I would imagine that the FPC sheds significant weight. Could the voodoo be lighter than the LS series engines?

Voltwings

Established Member
Are you planning on swapping an Ls engine into your GT-350 if its heavier?

You're also saying ~25 lbs in the the grand scheme of car to car comparisons matters ... i feel it was a stupid question, which is why i asked for clarification.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
IIRC, LS3 is ~420lbs, and both the coyote and LS7 are ~440lbs. marginal difference in the grand scheme of things. also, BMW's 4.0l V8(in NA form) weighs ~430lbs.
judging by the wording used when speaking about the changes/additional componentry used to combat the 2nd order harmonics that result from the use of the flat plane crank, i wouldn't be surprised to see engine weight increase marginally, maybe 10lbs. we don't have anywhere near enough info to really know though, what with the new head castings, flat plane crank, of course the drop forged pistons and likely drop forged rods, unique intake manifold, etc.

hognutz

Established Member
they said it was lighter but not how much. why it matters is basically 20lbs here, 20lbs there etc eventually that is what gets you down in weight over the standard GT. I would love to see this car come in >3600lbs.

some will call it marginal but weight in the wrong place is not good. 20lbs on you wheels or tires woudl obviouly be a higher return but everthing counts in the world of fat cars we live in.

Voltwings

Established Member
great post. Thanks for participating.

Are you planning on swapping an Ls engine into your GT-350 if its heavier?

You're also saying ~25 lbs in the the grand scheme of car to car comparisons matters ... i feel it was a stupid question, which is why i asked for clarification.

See the above ^^. Again, i will ask for clarification; what difference does it make? If its heavier, will it deter you from buying? If its lighter are you going to go out tomorrow and get in line for one? I view it as this: You play with the hand you're dealt. The Coyote is heavier than the LS engine but we're all sitting here driving one, because we obviously cared about more than just the engine weight, so again ... i felt it was a stupid question, and am looking for clarification.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
See the above ^^. Again, i will ask for clarification; what difference does it make? If its heavier, will it deter you from buying? If its lighter are you going to go out tomorrow and get in line for one? I view it as this: You play with the hand you're dealt. The Coyote is heavier than the LS engine but we're all sitting here driving one, because we obviously cared about more than just the engine weight, so again ... i felt it was a stupid question, and am looking for clarification.
just because it's a stupid question for you doesn't mean it is to others. some might want to use the upcoming crate engine in a project where weight could be a deal breaker. others, like myself, are just information whores, in which case it matters simply in the pursuit of knowledge. (BTW, the 5.0l and LS7 weigh the same - 440lbs)

if you don't care about a topic, you're more than welcome to not participate.

Users who are viewing this thread