M V Performance

Shawn819

Established Member
Thumbs down to these guys.

My '03 Cobra had a recurring pretty bad leak from around my differential, so I had it worked on at another local shop. They ended up referring me to M V Performance after replacement of the pinion seal didn't solve the problem.

After the initial visit to M V Performance, they informed me that it was, in fact, the pinion seal that was leaking and the previous shop hadn't installed it properly, most likely. They replaced it again and also installed new Energy Suspension pinion bushings at the same time (Their request, not mine - in fact, I'm not sure they even told me they were installing these). I was assured that the leak was stopped. The next morning, there was already a puddle forming under the car.

I ended up taking it back there a week or 2 later and I was informed that my differential housing was cracked. The Ford Racing replacement part was on back-order with no release date determined. Of course, the salvage yard next door had a used one - for $100 more than a brand new one. I said to go ahead and do it with the used one since I seemed to have no alternative and needed it fixed. On the 5th business day, after promising to have it ready the 2 days prior, I went to get the car.

I was told that it wasn't started yet and to come back tomorrow. As I was going out of town that day, I asked if the car was disassembled yet. I was told it was not. I was going to take the car and work out a time to replace the housing when I got back.

The first thing that caught my eye after I left was that my exhaust tips weren't lined up. One was sticking out way further than the other and lower. The second thing I noticed were my exhaust clamps on either end of my mufflers (Previous owner had the Magnaflow installed with these instead of a weld) were upside down, so the bolts were catching on speed bumps that previously weren't an issue. At that point, I decided to not go back to M V. Sure, it's a simple alignment issue, but I wasn't a jerk or anything when I went in there. I was more concerned that my car had been taken apart when I got there, I was then lied to about it, and then it was sloppily thrown together to get me out of there. Now I was concerned that they might have half-assed something else.

This past weekend, I finally scheduled some time with a friend to take a look at the differential. I'm obviously not the most mechanically inclined, nor do I have the tools to really do much work aside from an oil change. Anyway, we cleaned the differential and watched it to see where the leak originated. It was pretty clear that the housing wasn't cracked at all. The leak came from the seal between the cover and the housing. Upon removing the cover, there was no actual gasket in there. Only a strand of RTV around the vein in the cover (the bottom of which was torn and causing the leak). A gasket was installed and no more leak.

My complaint about M V is that these guys talked like they knew exactly what was wrong. It was a pretty simple diagnosis and fix, yet they were completely off-base. These guys aren't incompetent since they seem to build some pretty nice cars amongst themselves and for others, so I can only conclude that they tried to take advantage of me. I don't really care about how long it takes to have a job done as long as it's done right. Maybe they build some nice cars for people, but in my experience, they came off as lazy and dishonest, and I definitely couldn't recommend them to the average Mustang owner. Luckily, I only lost $170 to them; it could have been much worse.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
But yeah, reading your story, a lot of the same issues I had. I would be told that it would be done on this day and it was not. They would tell me to leave the car with them for a week and then come to find out they would work on it, he day beore I would pick it up, after it had been there a week. But your lcky at $170, I lost over $6000 with them. 6-8 months of headaches and I just sold the car to having to stop dealing with it.

You can find a LOT of bad experiences with them on MCE. As I stated in the second page of the link above me, their work is half ass and they lie about a lot of things. Hell the owner told me his dyno reads numbers 10-15% less than other dynos since its older. Just so he can make it seem like the cars put down good numbers after he builds them.

Shawn819

Established Member
Hahah, I just read your thread. I definitely agree that they will never call you. Ever. You have to initiate all communication. That sucks that you wasted so much time and money. Hopefully threads like these will discourage more people from doing business with them.

realm187

Vaporized
Established Member
They did decent work for me but I agree you can never get anyone to answer the phone. Honestly cannot figure out how they stay in business when they never answer the phone.

GA Terminator

Established Member
I had them weld in a set of MM full lenght subs for me about five years ago. Sloppy welding. Would never go back.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
...Hell the owner told me his dyno reads numbers 10-15% less than other dynos since its older. Just so he can make it seem like the cars put down good numbers after he builds them.

I'm interested in this statement because I had my car dyno-tuned there. If it reads low wouldn't that make it look like his builds make less power? (PM if you'd rather)

I got my tune done there last fall and it was an "ok" all-around experience. My tune was causing some pinging in this ridiculous 95degree summer heat, and Tim pretty quickly responded with an email with an adjusted tune.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
I'm interested in this statement because I had my car dyno-tuned there. If it reads low wouldn't that make it look like his builds make less power? (PM if you'd rather)

I got my tune done there last fall and it was an "ok" all-around experience. My tune was causing some pinging in this ridiculous 95degree summer heat, and Tim pretty quickly responded with an email with an adjusted tune.

Just saw this. His dyno does not read different, his builds just do not make the power he claims. My Mach 1 I had, which they did...

Light Weight Rods
Light Weight Flat Top Pistons
Knife Edged Crank
Block .10 Over
MAC Longtubes & O/R X-Pipe

They half-ass installed, which I already had on the car when it went to them...

Upper and Lower Ported Intake Manifold
Throttle Body
MAF
Inlet Pipe
CAI

When he tuned it, it made 313/335 at the tires, which is about what a stock mach with longtubes will put down. Here is the shit part, Tim tuned it at a 13.9 A/F Ratio average. Minimum 13.7, high as 14.1. So he tuned it REAL lean and told me that was okay.

Well after he gave me the numbers and thye were much lower than they should have been, which Jeff and Mo's and many other builds on the M1R showed otherwise. Tim told me there dyno made 10-15% less numbers because of its age, which that % increase put it where the numbers should have been. So I took it to Vengenace Racing Dyno Day and paid for a few pulls and it put down the exact same numbers as Tim's Dyno. Also I had the same problems you did, the car threw a lean code twice and in the middle of the summer, the car never felt like it ran right.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Just saw this. His dyno does not read different, his builds just do not make the power he claims. My Mach 1 I had, which they did...

Light Weight Rods
Light Weight Flat Top Pistons
Knife Edged Crank
Block .10 Over
MAC Longtubes & O/R X-Pipe

They half-ass installed, which I already had on the car when it went to them...

Upper and Lower Ported Intake Manifold
Throttle Body
MAF
Inlet Pipe
CAI

When he tuned it, it made 313/335 at the tires, which is about what a stock mach with longtubes will put down. Here is the shit part, Tim tuned it at a 13.9 A/F Ratio average. Minimum 13.7, high as 14.1. So he tuned it REAL lean and told me that was okay.

Well after he gave me the numbers and thye were much lower than they should have been, which Jeff and Mo's and many other builds on the M1R showed otherwise. Tim told me there dyno made 10-15% less numbers because of its age, which that % increase put it where the numbers should have been. So I took it to Vengenace Racing Dyno Day and paid for a few pulls and it put down the exact same numbers as Tim's Dyno. Also I had the same problems you did, the car threw a lean code twice and in the middle of the summer, the car never felt like it ran right.

That's weird about your A/F, I just looked at mine and it peaked at 13.0, but was high 12's most of the run. I put down 286/304 with intake, 3/8 spacer, catted x, and catback. The M1R guys seemed to think that was about right for a Mustang Dyno.

All in all, I wish I would have waited for Kurgan's shop to open up back in December, or driven up to Amazon. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread