MACA... Please read... I need some advice/help [LONG]

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Before I start, let me just warn you. This is going to be mostly a long rant, but I do have some questions and I would appreciate anyone who takes the time to read the whole thing and respond. Here goes:

Let me start off by giving you some background.

When I first started having problems with my Throw-out Bearing (TOB) back in July/August, I searched around here on SVTPerformance for reputable dealers to get quality work done at. I had only had the car since May 26, so it is still very much my baby at this point. Well, Bob Bell Ford is extremely close to me (Glen Burnie) but I had heard some bad things about their service department. So I decided to take my car to Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg because I was told by many that they do very good work. Well, long story short, my car was in the shop there for 13 days for a job that, according to the TSB, takes 4.3 hours. Given, they had to balance my tires as well (got new ones), but still. Should have been a 1-3 day absence from the car. I got the "we're waiting on parts" response. :nonono: They did replace my transmission cover plate (which includes a new input shaft and TOB) under TSB 04-1-34, but I still don't think that justifies the 13 day wait. That fixed my clutch/TOB problems very well. Only problem is that it came back after about 3-4 weeks and I've been dealing with it since it came back. However, that doesn't piss me off too bad because numerous guys have this problem over and over again and eventually after a few fixes, the planets align properly and the problem goes away. But I still needed and wanted to get it fixed. I just bought the car, why should I have to deal with it?

So, after work on Thursday, November 4th I drove my car the 47 miles (1.5 hours one way, thanks to traffic on the beltway) to Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg again. I gave them a laundry list of things to do, including the following:

- Check TOB and clutch pedal vibration
- Check rear-end for cause of vibration on deceleration
- Re-position rear, passenger side spring isolator
- Front-end alignment (if necessary)
- Normal 20,000 mile check-up procedure
- Check for possible missing wheel weights on all 4 wheels and re-balance using Road Force machine
- Check brake pads, calipers and rotors for wear

Now when I dropped the car off, I said I realize that there are a ton of things to do on my list but that I don't want my car to be here for 12 days like it was last time. The service writer and service manager that I talked with both said it shouldn't be a problem. Man should I have gotten that in writing. :nonono:

Well, here I am today (a full 15 days later; 12 days if you're only counting business days) ready to pick up my Cobra after work. There's only one problem... THEY'RE NOT COMPLETELY DONE THE WORK!!! Apparently, they found a whole boatload of things that needed to be fixed in the rear-end when they took it apart to re-position the spring isolator. Apparently the differential looked to have been re-sealed at one point or another (something that J.R. pointed out when he was under my car) and that the entire IRS looks to have been dropped from the car (more than likely for the addition of aftermarket bushings or something of that nature, according to the Sheehy's tech). This may have been why my car wheel-hopped so badly. There were just a great number of loose items in the car's rear end, so they investigated further and found that the differential seems to have been re-sealed or something of that nature at one point. I personally checked with the Ford dealership in Florida where my car had been serviced while in possession of the other owner and neither I nor Sheehy could find anything on the faxed maintenance report about the rear being messed with at all. I guess the person before me broke something in the rear at the track and got it fixed at a speed shop or something. I digress...

So basically, they still have to do the following:

- Replace the differential/IRS (warranty)
- Replace the driveshaft (warranty)
- Continue to work-out the clutch issue; will probably replace entire clutch assembly (warranty)

So I called up the service manager this morning to basically make a complaint. He was my service writer before he was promoted to service manager, so I dealt with him the last time I had my car there. I asked him why in the 2 times that my car has been in their shop, has it been in their possession for a total of almost 28 days. He said that he knows it's been a long time, to which my response was well, why has it taken so long? I said the repairs that are scheduled for my car couldn't have taken more than 10 or 11 hours. His response was that he only really has 2 guys that are qualified enough to work on the Cobras and that it takes a while to get parts in for them most of the time. I didn't feel like talking about it anymore, so I just let the conversation end and I told him that I would like to speak with him directly when I come up there today after work. He said that would be fine. I need to call him to make sure that he doesn't leave before I get there as I'll be leaving Annapolis around 4:30 or so to get there.

Basically, I would greatly appreciate some thoughtful and appropriate advice on what to yell at him for. I would also like to know what you guys think I should do about the fact that he wants my car back to do some more serious work on it. I figure getting a finish date in writing and an estimate of how long the work itself will actually take in hours would do the trick. I'm not sure how to go about asking this though.

Anybody that read this whole thing, I really appreciate it and I hope you will take the time to respond.

Thanks a bunch everyone!! :thumbsup:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Heh, well considering that I used to be on the other side of the fence (I worked in a shop both as a service writer and a "parts installer" for 5 years), I can tell you that waiting on parts is often a bitch. But....you have every right to be livid, if they work on alot of these cars(and I'm sure they do) they know that getting certian parts will take a hwile. Given that knowledge, and knowing how few people they have to work on the car, they should be able to give you a more accurate time estimate up front. They didn't, in fact, they were waaaay off the mark, and that's unacceptable.

A couple of things *could* be happening here. First off, dealers don't make money on warrenty work, they make money on service. Ditto for mechanics. If the repair calls for 4 hours and it's warrenty, they get paid 2. So if there are cars in there that are paying customers, they might be getting bumped in line. Not saying it is happening, just saying it could be. Another possibility is that the service writers don't have any idea what they are doing (not at all unlikely) and the mechanic is stuck waiting on them, causing additional delays.

What can you do to fix this...well, here is what I do when I go to the shop(and that's not a long list btw, the last time I went in, I had a list of 15 or so things for them to fix, not look at, fix), I have them look at the car one day, usually while I'm there, to verify that my complaints are legit and diagnose the problem. THen I have them leave the ticket open while they order all of the nessisary parts from ford. Once they have the parts in, they call me, and I bring the car back to have everything installed. That way I'm not without my car while they are waiting on parts to show up from ford, which, can definatly take a while sometimes. Espeically if you have incompitent people that order the wrong things.

In short, if I were you, I would complain about the innaccurate time estimates, and their seemingly "who cares" attitude about making that misjudgement twice. I might also go so far as to have them show me the shipping invoices and order dates to make sure they weren't bs'n you on how long it took stuff to come in. Doing that will obviously not win you any friends, so I would only pull that stunt if you don't plan on going back there....plus, they might not even show you anyway. Then I would try to work out an arrangement similar to what I do. Once my warrenty is up my car will never see the inside of a dealership again unless I'm underneith the lift myself doing the work. But while it's free, I'll take what I can get.

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Sean
I know you love your car. One option is that if your vehicle is away from you for more than 30 days for similar repairs under warranty, there is a program you can start on having Ford purchase the car back. ( Some of you guys know more about this than me) Not sure if you can do a search or not on info pertaining to this, but it is a law. My suggestion is find out the name, has something to do with Florida, and throw this in the guys face that you are calling Ford, and I would, maybe SVT 1-800-FORDSVT, and let them know what's up and start filing for a buyback.

The dealer is just a worm in the big mound. It will be difficult to get anything from them. Go for the big boys. I need to talk to you tomorrow to give you some further contacts....

J.R.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Sean

Oh my friend do I have a story for you! I will give you the jest of the story..and if you care to hear more we can talk tomorrow. Once upon a time I owned a 97 Camaro SS. Ah what was I thinking? Well for the 7 months I owned the car the dealer had it 15 days or so out of every month...til I went to the BBB and started my lemon law issue. It was bought back..and I finally bought the car of my dreams a Yellow Cobra!! Please see me if you want to discuss how your car can be bought back..or how to complain to the BBB.

On a side note...you just reconfirmed my thoughts regarding Sheehy. Never ever take your car then again. As far as what Ford Dealership is good...well that's a good question..and when someone finds the answer...please please let me know.

I will tell you, Cowles Ford, where I bought my 04 claims that they give all SVT products first attention..they are supposedly moved ahead of everything and finished first...along with a free loaner car. Hmmm..I hope that is the case..if I ever need service...cause if they think I was bad when I bought the car...they really I have not even begun to see bad.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Wait a minute.....I know that Sheehy has had the car for 15 days and they still haven't completed the repairs. And that is bad, granted. But, they've agreed to replace the differential, the driveshaft, and probably the clutch under warranty......despite the fact that they feel the IRS has been removed due to modifications??? (Are you sure you cleaned all that rubber out from around the wheel wells?????? JK)

Sean, I don't know how many runs you put on the car this summer, but if you can get these repairs done for free under warranty, then you've got a nice head start on the 05 drag season........You're in a frustrating situation, but being patient may get your Cobra back to kick-ass shape for next to zero $'s.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Before I respond to any comments, I got to say. I got the car back today and even though they haven't fixed everything, the car just feels SOOOOO much more solid. I don't know how to explain it, but everything just feels so much more precise and solid now. Can't wait until they replace the driveshaft, differential and ESPECIALLY the clutch (which seems to have become even heavier than last time I drove it; probably due to extended period of time away). So as of this moment, I'm officially somewhat happy with the work they've done.

IronTerp said:
Wait a minute.....I know that Sheehy has had the car for 15 days and they still haven't completed the repairs. And that is bad, granted. But, they've agreed to replace the differential, the driveshaft, and probably the clutch under warranty......despite the fact that they feel the IRS has been removed due to modifications??? (Are you sure you cleaned all that rubber out from around the wheel wells?????? JK)

Sean, I don't know how many runs you put on the car this summer, but if you can get these repairs done for free under warranty, then you've got a nice head start on the 05 drag season........You're in a frustrating situation, but being patient may get your Cobra back to kick-ass shape for next to zero $'s.

I agree. As Jason put it earlier this evening, "They're hooking [me] up." Free clutch, free IRS/differential, free driveshaft, DESPITE the fact that I told them I broke my half-shaft drag racing at the track not 2 weeks earlier. And for the record, my 5th and last racing for this season was our last time at MIR for Fun Ford Oct 24th.

So I guess they're EXTREMELY hardcore-driver friendly and mod friendly. Just going to have to make them get my car back to me quicker next time. The service manager's going to call me and let me know that they have the parts when they get them. Now when I go back there for the parts to be replaced, I'm not giving them my car without either of the following:

- Written estimate of total WORK time (ie time to replace and fix items)
- Written date and time at which my car will be ready to be picked up

It's that simple. This way I'll have in writing that they said they'd have my car back before a certain date and time.

Hopefully that will help them with their extreme laziness.

And by the way, a few of you actually called me on my cell phone and offered some advice. I do appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to clean her off tomorrow!! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread