Mach 1 ....iron block??

ObieFox

Established Member
The most recent motor trend mag says that the '03 mach has a cast iron block. I thought the mach was going to have the '01 all aluminum cobra motor. They go further and state that "a unique version of Ford's 32-valve cast iron / aluminum-head 4.6l DOCH V-8. This is the same one used in the 390-hp Cobra, but without supercharged assistance." They seem to imply that the Mach 4.6 has the same forged internals as the cobra. What gives??

KO
:??:

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Wow... I'd be a bit surprised if it was a cast-iron block like the Cobra... I mean that is a heavy engine! I thought the reason Ford went with cast iron on the Cobra was because of the supercharger - because the aluminum couldn't handle the extra power. Without an SC on the Mach 1, I would think that cast iron is NOT the way to go... anyway, just my opinion...

ObieFox

Established Member
Motor trend even goes on to talk about the handling due to the heavy iron block up front? Could they screw this up this bad???

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
This has been discussed at length, and dispite what Ford has said about destroying the aluminum blocks under boost, I think the consensus is that iron was chosen more for cost than anything else, since TONS of guys are running high boost on aluminum blocks with little to no problems.

sonic77

Established Member
I was wondering about the iron block when I read that too. I noticed they also say in one paragraph that it uses the 4.6L and then the next paragraph they say it has a 5.4!

Also, they go to the trouble to get an original Mach 1, and place it next to the new one, but then they blur it out in the photo. It would've been nice to see side by side photos to compare the two. I don't undestand Motor Trend anymore.

key2you

Established Member
Going to an iron block for cost (in the 03) is one of the reason's. If you talk to guys with alum or iron blocks, they'll tell you that the iron blocks last much longer. Aluminum blocks do not hold up well over time with boost. That's just a fact. With the way mustang guys mod there cars they would not last past 35k. Also on start up the iron block produces less omissions then you get with aluminum. I have a friend who has a 97 with a charger, with not alot of boost going through it, who's had to have his motor torn down 2 times already and he has 60k on it.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Gosh guys, I used to wonder how the Cobra R guys must feel, well now I know...

It doesn't matter, just means that there will be more parts availible when I need a new motor someday....

I say I hope in 10 years we can look back and laugh at how slow these Cobra's are...

peace.

Users who are viewing this thread