maintenance

sd04cobra

Established Member
so, obviously these cars cost a few bucks, but how is the maintenance schedule/costs on them?

would they be more reliable then ferrari?

anyone deal with big problems during ownership and at what mileage?

what is the highest mileage gt out there, and how is it running?

all info greatly appreciated guys

thanks, mark

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
the Ford GT has less maintenance and the parts are cheaper than the exotics. but...... parts are becoming a REAL issue so look for the price of this car and its parts to get real expensive when the USA comes out of its current recession. there are only 2400 Ford GT's left in America as result of cars being wrecked and cars that reside overseas now. how many Ferraris have been built over the last 60 years :lol:

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
My Neighbor DD's his and he's got like 720 Crank and like 600 something to the wheels its crazy. If I am not mistaken he's got well over 20K miles.

MAD IN NC

Established Member
so, obviously these cars cost a few bucks, but how is the maintenance schedule/costs on them?

would they be more reliable then ferrari?

anyone deal with big problems during ownership and at what mileage?

what is the highest mileage gt out there, and how is it running?

all info greatly appreciated guys

thanks, mark

I know a Forum members (FordGtForum), like Fast Freddy, with over 55k miles on their car. Drives it every day. Others are over 35k miles. I'm at 15k/ 3 yr's (been hung up on other project's - 69Mach 1 stroked, 65 Vette...).

Reliability> - like a Ford all in all. Better than a Ferrari? I would say yes even thought the newer Ferraris are MUCH better than pre 355 versions and while the FGT parts are going up in price due to being out of production and general health of auto part suppliers - I would guess to say they are still .5 to .7 less than a Ferrari equivalent tax. Face it you do pay for low run production (even hand built) cars...

Another owner who subsequently lost his due to payments even posted the changing and rebuilding of his own clutch at 50k miles. One owner has even taken to rebuilding the car - last year he took the front end down, today he has a new engine and has stripped the rear of the car... Why? because you can. It's a Ford and really easy to work on. I was apprehensive at first but that feeling went away after breaking the first bolt loose.

It's really a simple car to maintain and I try do the upgrades myself. I have taken the valve covers off for Powder Coating and even installed the Whipple with help. Also done the exhaust, short shifter, mac relocate by myself.

Car uses standard FoMoCo fluids (11 qrt's of it), sealed cooling system so you need a pump to insure no air etc... Hydraulic clutch and brakes - standard fluids (I'll be doing DOT 5 since I dread any paint problems). Like the 5.4L, there is an Oil Pump belt and Accesory belt that has to be changed which run ~$85 and ~$100. To buy oil, filter etc for an oil change costs less than ~$90 (FoMoCo filter - it is a Mann 95 and you can find them for $6 at Autozone) if you do it yourself... Dealer ~$225-$275. Brake pads - ~$100 a set for two wheels of Ceramics low dust (I hate Ford pads for that reason)

The biggest problem is the dropping of the belly bans - 27 screws in all for the large rear one, plus a 2nd pan to change the oil. For draining the coolant the chin spoiler comes off with 12+ screws.

No regrets except for not enough time to drive it...............

ModularFan

Established Member
I know a Forum members (FordGtForum), like Fast Freddy, with over 55k miles on their car. Drives it every day. Others are over 35k miles. I'm at 15k/ 3 yr's (been hung up on other project's - 69Mach 1 stroked, 65 Vette...).

Reliability> - like a Ford all in all. Better than a Ferrari? I would say yes even thought the newer Ferraris are MUCH better than pre 355 versions and while the FGT parts are going up in price due to being out of production and general health of auto part suppliers - I would guess to say they are still .5 to .7 less than a Ferrari equivalent tax. Face it you do pay for low run production (even hand built) cars...

Another owner who subsequently lost his due to payments even posted the changing and rebuilding of his own clutch at 50k miles. One owner has even taken to rebuilding the car - last year he took the front end down, today he has a new engine and has stripped the rear of the car... Why? because you can. It's a Ford and really easy to work on. I was apprehensive at first but that feeling went away after breaking the first bolt loose.

It's really a simple car to maintain and I try do the upgrades myself. I have taken the valve covers off for Powder Coating and even installed the Whipple with help. Also done the exhaust, short shifter, mac relocate by myself.

Car uses standard FoMoCo fluids (11 qrt's of it), sealed cooling system so you need a pump to insure no air etc... Hydraulic clutch and brakes - standard fluids (I'll be doing DOT 5 since I dread any paint problems). Like the 5.4L, there is an Oil Pump belt and Accesory belt that has to be changed which run ~$85 and ~$100. To buy oil, filter etc for an oil change costs less than ~$90 (FoMoCo filter - it is a Mann 95 and you can find them for $6 at Autozone) if you do it yourself... Dealer ~$225-$275. Brake pads - ~$100 a set for two wheels of Ceramics low dust (I hate Ford pads for that reason)

The biggest problem is the dropping of the belly bans - 27 screws in all for the large rear one, plus a 2nd pan to change the oil. For draining the coolant the chin spoiler comes off with 12+ screws.

No regrets except for not enough time to drive it...............

whats the members name on there.

Linden

Banned
Where can I find the official Ford maintenance and repair handbook (not owner's manual) for a 2003 Ford Mustang? In my searches I have found only The Official Ford Mustang 5.0: Technical Reference & Performance Handbook, 1979-1993. What's the title of the handbook for newer Mustangs? Not looking for Haynes manuals either.

Users who are viewing this thread