Make Your Own Oil seperator, to keep oil out of the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
i had noticed that after i had taken off the KB throttle body one day that there was a very considerable amount of oil in the intake plenum from the pcv system, i you know about this then you might know that oil has an octane rating in the low 80's i was told by my tuner RWTD, this can only be bad plus it coats your intercooler with oil too decreasing it's efficiency, if you have ever done a blower swap on an 03 cobra you know what i am talking about. there is no current system for out cars so i decided to build my own just like i did on my 03 cobra, the pcv system sucks air out of your intake and then routes it into the driverside head through the engine and then out the pass. side head into the back of the blower. i am not totally sure the function of it but while doing so the air picks up engine oil with it along the way. the answer is to put a air/water separator inline that is normally used on aircompressors to take water out of the air. you can choose to mount it anywhere in the engine bay but i decided to mount mine rght on the hard line that is used. it is stout enough to support the separator but you can do what you want. the trick to this is that all "mini-separator's" have 1/4" threads in/out and the hose that it is going into needs a 5/8" barb (hose) connection, i bought all of it at homedepot and it cost about 30 bucks. you just have to take some patience and find the right crossovers to make it work, if anyone is really interested to do this i think i still have the bags the connections came in and can put them on here. all the connections come in a gold color so i just painted them black with spray paint so they would blend in. the name brand separator i bought is "campbell-hausfield" because it was black and would also blend in. the pic you see is with about 300 miles on it, so you can see how much oil is going into the combustion chambers. i do think that this is beneficial on the eaton also not just KB owners, as 03-04 cobra do this all the time with power under 500 where most of us is past that mark. i am willing to answer any ?'s just ask. it doesn't look very pretty, but i don't think it is ugly either. but i am a fan of function over form though.(sometimes)
before
066-1.jpg

after
DSC02370.jpg

DSC02371.jpg

buy any mini-seperator, i actually bought mine at lowe's cause they had the campbell-hausfeld ones that are black, the homedepot had kobalt brand which is blue, and i wanted it to blend in. now what you need essentially is a crossover to go from the 1/4' pipe thread connection to a 5/8" barb(hose) connection. what i did in the pic is this
DSC02371rs.jpg

the green arrow is the separator from lowe's-$11.97
the yellow arrow is a 1/4" male thread x 1/4" male thread- $1.41x2=2.82
the red arrow is a 1/4" female thread x 3/4" male thread- $2.46x2=4.92
the blue arrow is a 3/4" female thread x 5/8" barb (hose) connection- $2.34x2=4.68

so total cost would be $24.39

one thing that is worth mentioning is that the separator's come with a small filter that screws into the assembly inside the glass bowl, after some research alot of guys just take them out as they are not compatible to be used in oil. and you will catch more oil without it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread