Manual steering rack question

99MystiC

Established Member
Im curious about the manual steering FR1892D. With this kit I wont need the pump anymore correct? Any requirements on what kind of k-member? What kind of weight difference am I looking at? Any other input will be appreciated.

Thanks Lethal

Anthony

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
That is correct, you will no longer need the pump or anything associated with it. UPR makes really nice K member kits that are finished in silver, Maximum Motorsports also has some rigid K members that are finished in black. Total weight savings would be roughly 60 lbs between the suspension and steering.

99MystiC

Established Member
I have the AJE k-member. How easy is it to install? What is the diff btwn the 19:1 and stock ratio? Am i looking at any power gains?

Thanks

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
The AJE K member installs just like any other K member, its secured to the sub-frame by 8 bolts. Stock steering ratio is 15:1 if I remember correctly. The 19:1 means that you will have to turn the steering wheel more to direct the tires, its like putting in 3.73's when the car came stock with 3.27's. Since you will not have power assist anymore, it would be best that you go with a rack that has a better gear ratio to make it easier to steer the car, though it will not be as responsive. Power gains would be minimal, maybe 5-10 hp at most.

99MystiC

Established Member
Im sorry i meant the steering rack install. The k-member is already in. So it would be better to go with the stock ratio. The kit you guys sell comes with everything ill need?
Thanks

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
It's not difficult, but it's not something that I can just explain in text, but I'll try. Two bolts secure the rack the the K member, then you have to remove all the hydraulic lines, unbolt the steering shaft, remove the tie rod ends from the spindle etc. What is on our site is just the rack with and without shaft, you would have to transfer over any tie rod ends or bump steer kits. Also, there is not option for what ratio you can choose, 19:1 is all that's available from flaming river and it's what I would recommend otherwise you would have a hell of a time turning your car.

99MystiC

Established Member
Ok i got some info from someone

"There is several things they fail to mention to you when you buy this part. First one- the thread pitch for the tie rod ends is a different pitch, so the stockers, or your current bump steer pieces won't thread on, requiring new pieces. In my case UPR sent me the correct bumpsteer pieces to thread onto the manual rack. Second- the splined piece for the steering shaft on the rack is a different size than your current steering shaft knuckle. So, you can either buy the manual rack steering shaft(Maximum Motorsport has a really nice one)or mod your stock shaft by cutting the end off and welding a new correctly sized knuckle on it.
Also, keep in mind you will need to do manual brakes since you are eliminating the hydroboost setup used in the current power brake setup."

Now i might be interested in doing the manual brake kit. Maybe you can suggest one. I didnt see any on your site. Now about the shaft and bump steer kit will i have this problem? Thanks again

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
We list 2 manual rack kits on the site, one with and one without the shaft. Some already have the MM shaft, so they purchase the rack without the shaft. As far as the manual brakes go, we don't have any bolt in kits specific for the 96-04 cars, but you can use a Maximum Motorsports manual brake conversion kit for the 94-95 Mustang GT/Cobra ($199.95) and Master Cylinder ($129.95). You would just most likely have to use a brake light switch for a 94-95 car and you would also have to cut/flare the lines with new fittings that go into the Master Cylinder. We also do have a bump-steer kit specific for the Flaming River manual rack by UPR, its $129.95. Let us know if you have any other questions

Users who are viewing this thread