Midpipes

ViciousJay

Established Member
Are they really worth it? i mean people are running low 12's and 11's with Tunes and CAI's... anyone have an offroad pipe and decided to go back to the stock midpipe??

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
After i put my offroad xpipe on my 2011 gt i felt a noticable increase on the butt dyno.

Not to mention noticing dynographs vs. cai/tune and cai/tune/off road midpipe will tell you there are significant increases on the 2011+ cars.

The stock midpipe catalytic converters even look restrictive as hell...

Just sayin...

EDIT: The numbers in my signature are only cai/tune. I have not had a re-dyno with the midpipe.

Last edited:

1Quick4.6

Established Member
Midpipes wont give you that much if any additional power. People mainly get different midpipes for sound.
I think u have that confused with catbacks because there are always good gains from getting rid of the cats and the neck down onthe 2011 is horrible for flow. The gains are on the same lvl as a Cai for that matter

gmantheman

Established Member
I think u have that confused with catbacks because there are always good gains from getting rid of the cats and the neck down onthe 2011 is horrible for flow. The gains are on the same lvl as a Cai for that matter
Not confusing it for catbacks but midpipes may affect the new 5.0s more than they do 4.6s. Kenne Bell tested a K/B superchared mustang with an o/r h and the stock catted h. There was no difference in hp nor tq. Stock cats vs hi-flow cats vs no cats may affect an N/A car a little more. Here are a few of my dyno numbers with my mods at the time. Difference is in the midpipes. Dynos runs were on the same dyno in nearly the same conditions-

Stock catted H: 298 RWHP/308 RWTQ

O/R Prochamber 302 RWHP/305RWTQ (I could feel a loss of low end tq)

Prochamber w/hi-flow cats. 305RWHP/311 tq.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Not confusing it for catbacks but midpipes may affect the new 5.0s more than they do 4.6s. Kenne Bell tested a K/B superchared mustang with an o/r h and the stock catted h. There was no difference in hp nor tq. Stock cats vs hi-flow cats vs no cats may affect an N/A car a little more. Here are a few of my dyno numbers with my mods at the time. Difference is in the midpipes. Dynos runs were on the same dyno in nearly the same conditions-

That's cool, but 4V DOHC engines have always responded better to intake and exhaust modifications than the SOHC 2v/3v counter parts.

Guys with my similar mods are putting down 42X.XX rwhp and some odd TQ vs. my numbers were with just CAI and tune. I'm not going to turn this into a bench racing piss match, but when i get the car back from ford ill do a dyno pull to back up my claims.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Lethal Performance's 3" O/R X or H pipe is supposed to be a dyno tested 14 rwhp increase over the stock midpipe. That is a good performance increase for $299!!

I could definitely tell a difference when I installed mine!!

1Quick4.6

Established Member

i start with the prochamber. not a good design ether way. and as far as the kenne bell thing....well beleive what you will but thats a bunch of crap and i do beleive i see more mustangs than kenne bel to support that (i'll say probably around 150-200 a year)and dyno them with different combos...Z28this in this thread can vouch for that one

Last edited:

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
i start with the prochamber. not a good design ether way. and as far as the kenne bell thing....well beleive what you will but thats a bunch of crap and i do beleive i see more mustangs than kenne bel to support that (i'll say probably around 150-200 a year)and dyno them with different combos...Z28this in this thread can vouch for that one

^ agreed.

KB has some stretched info, i think. Since when has a s/c car made less power with less back pressure. tthere could be a few freak setups but more time then not it will work.

I made 419rwhp corrected with mid,catback, and cai. another 5.0 same dyno made 401-4 corrected (forgot the exact #) same mods without mid tho. I know they werent back to back on same car and same day but thats a decent change on n/a cars. take for what its worth

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member

Yes, I can!!

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
I'm waiting for someone to release a mid pipe with hi flow cats for the 2011 5.0. My question is, not carrying about smog, smell, or horsepower, is there much sound difference from a high flow cat to no cats. Iv ran hi flows on my last two 4v mustangs and the sound was perfection with bassani cats and mufflers. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a lethal x but do want to be way louder than my hi flow threshold.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
I'm waiting for someone to release a mid pipe with hi flow cats for the 2011 5.0. My question is, not carrying about smog, smell, or horsepower, is there much sound difference from a high flow cat to no cats. Iv ran hi flows on my last two 4v mustangs and the sound was perfection with bassani cats and mufflers. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a lethal x but do want to be way louder than my hi flow threshold.

Magnaflow

ViciousJay

Established Member

buy and offroad pipe and weld in some high flow bullet cats

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
Case closed for me. Bot a magnaflow x-pipe with cats on eBay free shipping for $591. Everyone else has them for $804

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread