Military Pilots come in...questions

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
For the OP, listen only to those who have beeb there done that. Not some wannabe or never has been. I'm a Navy pilot so if you have any q's regarding Navy, PM me. Don't waste time on second and third hand info like from the above poster. He knows jack shit. Go to baseops.

I know lots of pilots and sometimes I talk to them, but only to practice good CRM. :rolling:I forgot to mention the IFS thing in my write up. They started doing that after I was pretty much done with flight school. It does happen prior to API in all cases though whether it be at TBS in Quantico or once in Pensacola waiting to class up for API.

And to the OP....being a pilot is one thing, being a military pilot is another. A military pilot tactically employs an aircraft as a weapon. A lot of folks don't understand that.

Last edited:

bunk22

Established Member
I know lots of pilots and sometimes I talk to them, but only to practice good CRM. :rolling:I forgot to mention the IFS thing in my write up. They started doing that after I was pretty much done with flight school. It does happen prior to API in all cases though whether it be at TBS in Quantico or once in Pensacola waiting to class up for API.

And to the OP....being a pilot is one thing, being a military pilot is another. A military pilot tactically employs an aircraft as a weapon. A lot of folks don't understand that.

Hey FLYIN, good to see another actual Military pilot in this thread. Of course when I say fly Navy, I mean Marine Corps as well. Folks, for the real deal, FLYIN is it. I flew C-2A's in the fleet, your basic C-130 type cargo mission deal, from the aircraft carrier...nice but not the equal of FLYIN. FLYIN however flew Cobra's in combat, got shot at and shot back, killing bad guys. Want advice on flying Marine Corps, ask him. Again, stay away from wannabe assbags like oilwell who know exactly jack shit about flying in the military.

FLY NAVY :coolman:

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Taking this bad boy to Afghanistan. Jack of All trades. Nothing better to take to war than rockets, guns, and 6-8 motivated Devil Dogs inserted with the ability to provide close air support and Aerial Reconnaisance for them after insert. We can effectively provide all 6 functions of Marine Aviation. Only platform in the inventory that can do that. Supporting the grunts on the ground is what Marine Aviation is all about.

uh-1y-huey.jpg

No Place to Run: HMLA-367 Marine Helps Locate, Close-with, Destroy Enemy

Last edited:

apache driver

Established Member
for the op, listen only to those who have been there done that. Not some wannabe or never has been. i'm a navy pilot so if you have any q's regarding navy, pm me. Don't waste time on second and third hand info like from the above poster. He knows jack shit. Go to baseops.

+1. Dual tracked IP/MTP CW3 Army aviator with multiple OIF/OEF T-shirts here.

Last edited:

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Taking this bad boy to Afghanistan. Jack of All trades. Nothing better to take to war than rockets, guns, and 6-8 motivated Devil Dogs inserted with the ability to provide close air support and Aerial Reconnaisance for them after insert. We can effectively provide all 6 functions of Marine Aviation. Only platform in the inventory that can do that. Supporting the grunts on the ground is what Marine Aviation is all about.

uh-1y-huey.jpg

No Place to Run: HMLA-367 Marine Helps Locate, Close-with, Destroy Enemy

Hell yeah!

BTW FLYIN, did you get my PM from back in late Feb?

Marineflyboy

Established Member
I just lurk on here and saw this thread and figure I'd chime in for Marine Corps aviation. I was sitting in your shoes not to long ago and if you want a guaranteed pilot contract the Marine Corps is the way to go.

Call up your local OSO (Officer Selection Officer) and ask about the Platoon Leadership Course. You can put in a selection package as an air contract. If you get selected you attend OCS in either 2 six week periods or one 10 week depending on where you are at in college. During the school year, you are a student, no drill, military classes or whatever ROTC committments there are. Afterwards you attend 6 months of The Basic School and then will be off to flight school.

I'm waiting to get my carrier qual's in the Hornet and finally make it to the fleet, so I can't answer questions about the fleet. However, being freshly winged I can answer any questions you have about the route I took to get my wings.

Listen to the guys that have been there first hand to get the facts straight in order to make a sound decision.

Bunk...what squadron are you going to in Kingsville? I came out of VT-22 flying the T-45A.

bunk22

Established Member
Listen to the guys that have been there first hand to get the facts straight in order to make a sound decision.

Very much agreed. Good to know there are now a few military pilots on this site to offer sound advice. Better they go to baseops and airwarriors of course. I know there is an Army aviator forum too but not sure what it's called. No need to have dumbass kids offering advice about which they know nothing about.

Bunk...what squadron are you going to in Kingsville? I came out of VT-22 flying the T-45A.

Going to the wing so I assume I'll fly with both 21 and 22. Btw, what primary squdron did you go to and when? From late 06 to April 09, I was an associate primary IP with VT-6. Also OIC for the prep school that trained all RSNF students. My buddy Gerry Estell was an IP out of the East Coast Hornet FRS (Oceana) not too long ago. Is he still there, haven't spoken with him since last April.

Last edited:

Marineflyboy

Established Member
Going to the wing so I assume I'll fly with both 21 and 22. Btw, what primary squdron did you go to and when? From late 06 to April 09, I was an associate primary IP with VT-6. Also OIC for the prep school that trained all RSNF students. My buddy Gerry Estell was an IP out of the East Coast Hornet FRS (Oceana) not too long ago. Is he still there, haven't spoken with him since last April.

I was in VT-3 from Aug 07 - May 08. I've been in VFA-106 since October 09 and the last name Estell doesn't ring a bell.

Users who are viewing this thread