Motorcraft oil filters

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
okay, I know this subject has been brought up more times by car enthusiats than anyone else. And its probably boring to read, but I just want to know if anyone else notices this. Are Motorcraft filters getting worse? The last 2 times I have gone to buy the filter for the Cobra I open the box (just to check, you never know) and the top is covered in metal shavings/paint chips/filter chunks. Most of the others on the shelf looked worse. Now, one time, I admit I bought one, brought it home and blew it out with an air hose before I put it on. The Auto Zone was out of all other brands at the time.

Tonight I noticed the same thing, and it was a different store. I bought a Fram (say what you will, this had no shrapnel on it!) and I'm going to give this a shot. What is the deal? Anyone else notice a problem with these? Or has Illinois just been getting shipments of defects for the last 6 months?

I might be overreacting, but these things should be a little better quality than that. Otherwise, what's the incentive to buy the genuine Ford parts? And are Frams that bad? Why is there always a controversy over them? Thanks, and happy wrenchin!

VNMHISS

Established Member
I hear you, I get my motorcraft filters from my local Wally World. I always spend a few minutes opening all the filters on the shelve to get "the least shrapnelized" filter. I run my finger on the thread and get a finger full of metal dust and shavings.(that can't be good for the engine):rolleyes: I don't know if there cutting corners or what(Ford,Motorcraft)but they better get there a s s in gear. You can start by firing the head "Quality Control" officer.:loser:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Motorcraft Oil Filter

I've been using the Motorcraft FL-300 oil filter on my '95 Cobra for almost two years, and have never noticed any debris. I just bought one yesterday, and I just went out and checked it - no debris. I'm the type of person that would take the matter to the store manager. You know, this could be a disgruntled employee playing games. I buy mine at Auto Zone. Are you guys using the FL-300? Have you tried going to a different store to get your filter?

Dan

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
I use the FL820-S. I hav looked at both Walmart and AutoZone, and both had problems. I used to used Napa Gold filters, but they are never open when I need a part! Oh well, I threw the Fram on there and its all good for now. I'll check in another couple months and see if its still an issue.

It felt good to finally get fresh oil in the thing, I was 1400 miles over! I never do that! What the hell was I thinking?

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I haven't had that problem... last one I got was for my L before I got rid of it not that long ago. Fram?? :eek: I've never been a Fram fan ever since we cut one open in auto shop and the teacher pointed out faults and said now that he's cut one open, he'd never get one again! I've seen another cut open since then.... not really any better! The "sure grip", or whatever, it's a good thought, but honesty... they should of spent that extra money to improve the inside of the filter instead of the outside. I wouldn't get a Fram filter for my mower. More info here...

Otherwise Napa gold's I've used too. The Cobra right now has an Amsoil oil filter on it.

Oh and my Cobra requires the FL-300... but I use the FL-1A equivelent on it.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
"BTW" did seem somewhat terse...Posts edited to reflect an appropriate response...

sibs4972

Established Member
I've used Motorsport filters (FL-820S & FL-1A) on my last three cars over several years and have never noticed what you have described. Maybe I've just been fortunate :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread