Moving to TX(DFW Area)

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
Hey guys,

I am looking at moving to the DFW area May/June. Can someone point out some of the areas to maybe shoot for living in, and also maybe point out the areas to stay out of? Hope to meet some of you and see you around the area this summer.

Side note: Any of you move from out of state with hand guns? I have to figure out the protocol for that when I head down.

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
If you want to be in the middle of the metroplex you could look in to Arlington but there's not a whole lot of new houses... You trying to rent? Buy?

I live south of Arlington in Mansfield. It's a smaller town but it's growing. Fast. Lots of new houses being built, good prices compared to up north of the metroplex. I'm a suburb guy who needs a yard and garage so I'm not a fan of living in the city but if you are, downtown living in Dallas and Ft. Worth are quite different. Depends on your lifestyle I guess... I don't know much about the northern part of the metroplex but from time I have spent up there, I've learned that the highway 635 is literally the devil. Awful traffic.

It's really hard to describe the whole metroplex... Different people have different opinions too... And different priorities like, "I must be within 20 minutes of a drag strip" ;-)

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
If you want to be in the middle of the metroplex you could look in to Arlington but there's not a whole lot of new houses... You trying to rent? Buy?

I live south of Arlington in Mansfield. It's a smaller town but it's growing. Fast. Lots of new houses being built, good prices compared to up north of the metroplex. I'm a suburb guy who needs a yard and garage so I'm not a fan of living in the city but if you are, downtown living in Dallas and Ft. Worth are quite different. Depends on your lifestyle I guess... I don't know much about the northern part of the metroplex but from time I have spent up there, I've learned that the highway 635 is literally the devil. Awful traffic.

It's really hard to describe the whole metroplex... Different people have different opinions too... And different priorities like, "I must be within 20 minutes of a drag strip" ;-)

Haha, thanks for the input - I suppose some info would help. I am like you, give me a little bit more space and a garage. I am not a city person, but I do like being able to drive in when/as needed. I have a 24ft car trailer and like my room. I will likely rent for 1-2yr then buy once I am more settled in and pick the right area. I will take a look around, thanks for the input.

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Yup, I like to be near the city but just don't want to live in it. There are several cities around here... Can't really say there's a certain city to stay away from as each city has its good/bad areas...

Caleousus

Established Member
Ive lived all over the metroplex. Grew up in Rowlett. Nice place to raise a family and has everything at your disposal. I currently live in Carrollton and love it there. Although traffic is worse, but you get used to it.

Side note: I lived in upstate NY for a few years and transported my pistols back to Texas with me. I was told by a friend who was a police officer that as long as the ammo was in a separate container as the weapons you will be fine. Texas gun laws are much more laid back than some states such as NY.

LD5050

37OH55V
Established Member
Lewsiville was nice, Southlake was good but overpriced. Keller was too crowded for the infrastructure when I was there 10 years ago, I'm sure the roads have somewhat caught up with the population by now,

I'm not really a downtown kind of person, but living on Main St in downtown D was the best of all the areas for one reason and one reason only. You are ALWAYS going against traffic in the morning and afternoon, which in DFW is basically like having magic powers.

Users who are viewing this thread