My 2003 Cobra head swap build thread :P

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
so i still have a 9.85:1? i though the chamber sizes were a little different in the heads..which is why mach 1s have a 10:1 compression?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
so i still have a 9.85:1? i though the chamber sizes were a little different in the heads..which is why mach 1s have a 10:1 compression?

The 03 heads do have a 2cc smaller combustion chamber and that will incrase comp a little, but I've seen them vary in size also so who knows what your compression really is. What ever it is it's not enough to make a big power difference.

LitleWhiteSnake

Yeah, Its a VTEC
Established Member
my LT money went to an 03 head swap instead.lol..when i get the chance ill get LT headers. with stock pistons and 03 heads i believe my compression is now 10:1..i have a lot of caked on carbon on the pistons that almost make them flat tops if that increases compression at all?Lol. today im buying a plug for one of vacuum leaks and see if thatll help my idle issue.

i have some rubber plugs at my house so if you want you can stop by just call me:beer:

Teksid281

Banned
Airplane gears? I like that...but can't figure out what it means.:shrug:

He opted to not go with LTs because of the money; they can be added later.

I understand why he did not go LTs, and airplane gears is in reference to the 3:27s, accelerates like a jumbo jet from a stop.

And your compression has to be down a little with that many miles on it :shrug:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
The 03 heads do have a 2cc smaller combustion chamber and that will incrase comp a little, but I've seen them vary in size also so who knows what your compression really is. What ever it is it's not enough to make a big power difference.

I understand why he did not go LTs, and airplane gears is in reference to the 3:27s, accelerates like a jumbo jet from a stop.

And your compression has to be down a little with that many miles on it :shrug:

yea, I'm not really concerned with what my compression really is, I'm not throwing a power adder on it now and I'm not looking for serious power..but if I can get it to the 350rwhp mark..then I'd be stoked!

okay I'm still messing with my idling issue, I believe its my IAC thats bad.

last night I was with littlewhitesnake messing with it, I hooked up the evac line to the back of the intake manifold by the throttle body..and its still not idling right [but my hanging throttle is gone!]

when I go to turn the car on, it will hold an idle just fine with no problem, but basically once I press the gas pedal, it won't want to catch an idle, unless if I wait until it almost dies, then tap the gas to bring up the RPM and do that a few times and slowly ease it to 1000RPM..but it doesn't work 100% of the time.

we pulled off the IAC and it looks incredibly bad and dirty..so I'm hoping thats it. other than that I'm hearing a whistling noise [sounds like an intake/vacuum leak of some kind] but I can't hear it [it basically sounds like I have a centri-blower]..or maybe its the belt.

anyways..enough of my problems.

I finally got my computer charger for my laptop so I can post on here and whatnot [i've been having to do it from my phone the past week]..I'm currently uploading the dyno video :p

edit: while its uploading..heres a picture of my car on the rack.
1003473f.jpg

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfdg8NXp8wo"]YouTube - 96 Cobra COMP cams dyno[/ame]

don't mind the crappy mufflers [flowmasters]...I bought a set of M55 mufflers off of someone on here, so when I do the IRS swap I'll have those put in :]

video again does it no justice, in person this was ear piercing...

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Last summer I was having the same sort of issues you are currently experiencing. I wound up chasing it all over the car, including replacing the IAC, but ended up tracing my issue back to a bad TPS. Bought a new one and dialed it to the recommended voltage and I've been good to go ever since.

And this might sound stupid, but I had a vacuum leak that loud also and it wound up being the intake boot where it mated up with the throttle body was not sealing correctly. Might check it out.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Last summer I was having the same sort of issues you are currently experiencing. I wound up chasing it all over the car, including replacing the IAC, but ended up tracing my issue back to a bad TPS. Bought a new one and dialed it to the recommended voltage and I've been good to go ever since.

And this might sound stupid, but I had a vacuum leak that loud also and it wound up being the intake boot where it mated up with the throttle body was not sealing correctly. Might check it out.

thats VERY possible. both points you made..thank you.

the intake manifold, IAC, and throttle body are all new to me, so I can't say "it was working fine before the swap" let alone with how long it might have been sitting without being used.

and we have taking off and installed the throttle body several times in the process..and we could have forgotten to tighten it down the very last time [we had to keep plugging and unpluggin the injectors]

tonight Im going to buy some carb cleaner and clean out my IAC [it was filthy when we looked at it last night] and see if that'll help.

about the TPS..about how much does that run and how can i check if mine is working/dialing in the voltage?

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I'm glad you're nailing down all of those stupid little issues. More time to enjoy it now instead of fixing BS.

Get that tune hammered out and :rockon:

coolguy10786

Established Member
Nice job! Glad you got it finished and running. Now spend some time enjoying the thing once its tuned.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I am looking at doing the same head swap but what is the difference between the 99/01 and 03-04 front covers. KB has a specific s/c for the 99/01's and two or three models for the 03's.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I am looking at doing the same head swap but what is the difference between the 99/01 and 03-04 front covers. KB has a specific s/c for the 99/01's and two or three models for the 03's.

The 03/04 models are meant to be a direct replacement for the eaton. The eaton drive setup is complicated and requires a unique front cover.

Users who are viewing this thread