My Speed Of Sound - 'vert gauge pod review

Jack

Established Member
I received my Speed Of Sound gauge pod last week, and finally had a chance to do the install on Saturday..

The following are my impressions and observations:

Customer Service was outstanding, Alan went out of his way to help me out.. my order had been delayed due to a credit card processing error. Alan rushed my order and made sure I got it before the weekend.

The instructions were through and easy to understand.

The product itself was as good as a factory piece... mainly because it is a modified pillar cover and not a poor attempt to duplicate the pillar cover like most companies attempt.

The mounting is identical to the stock method, since the pillar cover is the actual stock unit with bullet pods attached.

My only gripe is with the top pod..

when installing my boost gauge I choose the top location as the location of the gauge.. after routing all the wires and lines.. making final connections and checking everything over..

I went to install the boost gauge in the top location, but felt some resistance.. as it turns out the hole for the wiring and plastic boost line is much too close to the front of the pod opening. as a result went pushing the gauge into the pod, the boost fine gets crimped and as a result the gauge will not function.

I had to disconnect everything and rewire the electrical connections.. I had to place the boost gauge at the bottom location and my water temp at the top... not my ideal set up.

outside of the one snafu, I am extremely pleased with the product...

I'd also suggest to Alan that he take the factory pillar covers as cores to help reduce the cost..

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful review of my product. It is this type of feedback which will enable me to refine the product and our operation to reach the highest possible level.

I am glad you are pleased with our service. We've been working very hard to do this on a limited budget while keeping full time jobs. I appreciate the compliment.

I also see your point regarding the top pod. For your benefit, and maybe someone else's in the future, there are a few things which could help:

You COULD drill the pod out yourself to provide more clearance. I am well aware of the fragility of the autometer vacuum line provided with the gauges and its tendency to kink.

For future owners, we will address this concern on all models effective immediately. I have boost gauges in my shop, and will test fit some production models and re-orient the location for drilling as needed.

As for cores, we have considered this and currently declined to do so. We want to provide a brand new part, without sun exposure or armor-all etc. The factory piece meets our standards for fit, and helps us acheive the high quality consistent with the rest of the interior. Good advice though!

Hope you enjoy your pillar, and try to get some pics up. I love to see our part in cars I wasn't directly involved with during the installation.

Regards,

Alan

TRBO VNM

Alan,

one other thing, but not really an issue. I put my fuel pressure gauge in the top pod and I did not want to cut the wires for the harness between the sending unit and gauge. The hole to feed the wires in the pod was a little too small, but I used a file and small blade and was able to file/cut it large enough for the plug to fit through.

nothing you can really do to help except have a harness there to test fit through the whole. but I personally don't expect you to have every gauge made to make sure they all fit through.

Jack

Established Member
Alan.....

I'll take some pictures tonight when I get home from work.

I considered enlarging the hole on the top pod, but I didn't feel I would have had enough room since the contact area of the pod and pillar cover is fairly small...

As for you comment about the cores.. you could simply strip the finish, and paint them like you currently do... just a thought...

or you could even have the customer ship you their existing pillar cover for you to modify, this would be at their own choosing. I know I could live without a pillar cover for a week or so...

Just some ideas.

Again, I truly appreaciate you giving my gauges a home.. they were sitting in my garage for 9 months prior to the install

Thanks again
:rockon:

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
jason, I've heard one other story about the fuel psi harness. We've always cut the wires and re-crimped them, so passing the harness through wasn't something we considered. Now we have, and the wiring/tubing holes will all be enlarged to offer the most flexibility we can.

As for the cores, my concern is also not having a fast enough turn around time for you guys. A CNC mill operator likes to do projects in high volume, not one at a time. I don't think I could wait until I had 50-100 cores to have them machined. Now, when I buy my own CNC mill, things will be a little different... Many people I surveyed in the development process also like the ability to return to stock appearance, even quickly if needed. They couldn't do this if they sent a core in without first visiting the dealership.

Again, I think it's good advice, and will take it under advisement. Anyone who supports this idea, please chime in and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again for the feedback. Remember, this product (and company!) is brand new and there will be details like this to work out. Your willingness to help is most appreciated, as it will only benefit the rest of the community.

Keep in touch guys,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread