Navy

stangzor

Established Member
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I've been using this site for a while now, just for when I need help with my car. I've decided next year i'm going to attempt to become a SEAL. Not for anyone else, but for myself. I believe I can do this with my life. I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on my decision:)

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
first thing you'll have to do, if your still a civilian, is talk to the recruiter and then the special programs recruiter, who will give you a physical test, to see if you meet up to the incredibly rigous standards of joining the Navy as a Seal candidate.. otherwise you'll just be a regular Sailor..

stangzor

Established Member
I haven't gone through basic yet... My buddies dad is a SEAL and he was explaining to me how to get in, and what I need to do. I've been training with him each and every day. I'm a wrestler and a triathlete so I happen to be in what I would like to call very good shape:). I know I have know way of knowing how intense the training will be, but I am looking forward to it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
you should ask this in THE CHOW HALL. or ask the mods to move it there since that is where our Military guys would be more likely to see it

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Oh.. FYI, I'm a former Navy Recruiter and put a few people into the Navy's special program (SEALS, SWCC, Diver and EOD)..

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Your in for a ****en WORLD of hurt!! I was a SEAL Candidate through boot, and during 'A' school, I found my weakness.. My right knee. Its both a physical AND mental thing. My ex brother in law was a SEAL, and out of his BUDs class, only less than roughly a quarter of the class finished.

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
My couisin is SWCC in the navy and i know he loves it. You should check that out as a possibility, it is pretty high speed.

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
Good luck, we get plenty of BUD/s drops in my rate. From what I've seen and heard, you have to want it more than anything else deep inside your heart. When you're lying in the cold surf getting yelled at and there is nobody going to stop you from standing up and ringing the bell, it really plays tricks on your mind.

stangliter04

Established Member
Your in for a ****en WORLD of hurt!! I was a SEAL Candidate through boot, and during 'A' school

I was also dive motivator every morning... This was before SEAL was actually a rating. My rate wasn’t a SEAL source rating so after all the BS I went through they told me that GSE were needed in the fleet and to drop a chit to cross rate when I got to my ship. Once you get out in the fleet they don’t want to turn you loose for anything :nonono:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I was also dive motivator every morning... This was before SEAL was actually a rating. My rate wasn’t a SEAL source rating so after all the BS I went through they told me that GSE were needed in the fleet and to drop a chit to cross rate when I got to my ship. Once you get out in the fleet they don’t want to turn you loose for anything :nonono:

yes sir +1
your too vaulable to let go of from the ship even if your just sweeping the decks repeatedly lol :nonono:
i passed all my tests (including the dive chamber) to get into the programs but asvab wasn't high enough even with a waiver and i couldn't retake asvab w/o that stupid class you need to prepare for it even having passed all my physicals etc. so i went to SAR school and still had fun. sometimes no matter what happens, it just isn't meant to happen. :beer:

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
Dude, i wouldnt go joinin the navy to attempt to be a seal. There is a lot more to it than that. You should plan on joining the navy if you would be happy just being a sailor for your full enlistment. I knew so many people that wanted to be seals during my 4 year enlistment in the mid 90's and not one of them even made it through the fitness test and they were some dudes who were in crazy shape. One of them that i know of actually made it as a diver and is still doin it today. They (seals)are the best for a reason. Think of what it takes even to even make it through buds. Just a little advice dude. When someone says "im gonna attempt" to be a seal, they already weeded themselves out. A Navy seal that made it is one of those rare guys that always had the mindset "I can and I will and nothing can stop me".

bunk22

Established Member
Dude, i wouldnt go joinin the navy to attempt to be a seal. There is a lot more to it than that. You should plan on joining the navy if you would be happy just being a sailor for your full enlistment. I knew so many people that wanted to be seals during my 4 year enlistment in the mid 90's and not one of them even made it through the fitness test and they were some dudes who were in crazy shape. One of them that i know of actually made it as a diver and is still doin it today. They (seals)are the best for a reason. Think of what it takes even to even make it through buds. Just a little advice dude. When someone says "im gonna attempt" to be a seal, they already weeded themselves out. A Navy seal that made it is one of those rare guys that always had the mindset "I can and I will and nothing can stop me".

So how the **** is he supposed to become a SEAL if he doesn't join the Navy? Because you know people who failed so he shouldn't? The above advice, and I use that word loosely, is one of the worst I've read in a long time :dw:

For the OP, if you want real answers to question about becoming a SEAL, go to good sources, not SVTP lol. A forum like this would be better:

NAVY SEAL TRAINING FORUM

Not sure if that's the best forum for SPECWAR but there are real SEAL's on it, guys who have gone through BUDS training. Best to talk to those who have been there done that.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
So how the **** is he supposed to become a SEAL if he doesn't join the Navy? Because you know people who failed so he shouldn't? The above advice, and I use that word loosely, is one of the worst I've read in a long time :dw:

For the OP, if you want real answers to question about becoming a SEAL, go to good sources, not SVTP lol. A forum like this would be better:

NAVY SEAL TRAINING FORUM

Not sure if that's the best forum for SPECWAR but there are real SEAL's on it, guys who have gone through BUDS training. Best to talk to those who have been there done that.

instead of acting like you know it all which you probably think you do, why dont you read my post and actually gather what im trying to say. Your probably already in your raging mindset though where you wont comprehend at all. When your done sniveling, maybe one of your shipmates will offer you a pair of skivees to wipe your nose. I dont say that "loosely" either.:whine:

bunk22

Established Member
instead of acting like you know it all which you probably think you do, why dont you read my post and actually gather what im trying to say. Your probably already in your raging mindset though where you wont comprehend at all. When your done sniveling, maybe one of your shipmates will offer you a pair of skivees to wipe your nose. I dont say that "loosely" either.:whine:

Luckily I took your advice and had one my shipmate's take a look at your post, after he wiped my nose of course. He is former French Foreign Legion and a Marine Recon Sniper, now Navy due to an injury in Afghanistan. Saw action in both Iraq and Afghanistan. His assessment was a little different than mine, in his opinion, your advice was poorly written :beer: But I get it now, have another goal in mind if he joins or at leat be willing to accept another goal. That is understandable. However, I will say go into it wanting to be a SEAL but understand that attrition rate is high and it's possible one might have to go with another option.

I must still stand by my assertion that going to a sight with those who have been there done that will be the best for good and accurate info.

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
Dude, i wouldnt go joinin the navy to attempt to be a seal. There is a lot more to it than that. You should plan on joining the navy if you would be happy just being a sailor for your full enlistment. I knew so many people that wanted to be seals during my 4 year enlistment in the mid 90's and not one of them even made it through the fitness test and they were some dudes who were in crazy shape. One of them that i know of actually made it as a diver and is still doin it today.........

believe me...if you want to be a SEAL then just being a sailor for 4 years will never be worth it to you. ships and bullshit underway periods that amount to nothing ect...ect....it is not fun...AT ALL! when i was stationed at North Island which is right down the street from the amphib base, you would see SEALs all the time in the little city there, Coronado. Great guys and every single one i asked advice from pretty much said the same thing...you have to be in great shape but that is not the determining factor...the determining factor is a NEVER QUIT/NEVER FAIL NO MATTER WHAT attitude. it is not always the fastest or strongest guy that makes it through. A SEAL told me one day while we were eating lunch at the bar at island pasta...(and it has stuck with me every since he said it)...."anybody can be a SEAL but not everybody knows they can be a SEAL, especially once the mind starts to give in to the easy path". good luck to you in whatever you decide.....btw SEALs are sincerely my HEROs, all the best to you~!

Users who are viewing this thread