Need detailing product advice - black cobra

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Guys,
Its that time of year and I need to detail my Cobra...its a 1998 Black drop top. Last summer I used the meguiars 3 step system, but instead of the #3 wax I used the NXT + the NXT booster. Honestly I took my time with it and it looked great. However, the shine didn't look as deep as I would of expected or wanted...and the shine didn't last very long either. And the thing is, I only take it out on nice sunny days, otherwise it sits in the garage under a cover. But after reading some of the threads on here, I was seriously considering using this system: Poorboys SSR 2.5(for the minor scratches and swirl marks), Clearkote's Vanilla Moose Wax(cleaner?) and then Carnauba Moose Wax as the finisher. Is this the best system for a black car with 7 year old paint?..paint is in very good condition as it is now. Also, will this combo provide a very deep looking shine, more so than the NXT? Does it last longer than the NXT? Also, I am applying everything by hand, no buffers. Thanks in advance!

DontGetBit

The Dynasty has begun....
Established Member
Wash
Clay
Wash
Poorboys SSR 2.5 or SSR 1 (depending on how many swirls/scratches you have)
Clearkote RMG (Red Moose Machine Glaze)
Clearkote CMW
Clearkote Quik Shine

I have not tried these products by hand but I have used them with a Porter Cable. They work very well on black and really give it a deep, wet look. I used this combo on my black 03 the first week of April and it still love great. The wax is holding up very well and does a great job of beading and repelling water. I will probably use this combo, but add Poorboys EX before the CMW in the next month or so. Give Scott at SMP a call and he can help you out. Take advantage of the sale that is going on now, I am going to place an in in the next day or so.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I use the exact combo you listed. I know its not a black car, but the longevity of the stuff is pretty outstanding. I used to use off the shelf stuff and it seemed that none of them would last past a few washes.

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
Tropi-Care

Shake&Bake said:
Guys,
Its that time of year and I need to detail my Cobra...its a 1998 Black drop top. Last summer I used the meguiars 3 step system, but instead of the #3 wax I used the NXT + the NXT booster. Honestly I took my time with it and it looked great. However, the shine didn't look as deep as I would of expected or wanted...and the shine didn't last very long either. And the thing is, I only take it out on nice sunny days, otherwise it sits in the garage under a cover. But after reading some of the threads on here, I was seriously considering using this system: Poorboys SSR 2.5(for the minor scratches and swirl marks), Clearkote's Vanilla Moose Wax(cleaner?) and then Carnauba Moose Wax as the finisher. Is this the best system for a black car with 7 year old paint?..paint is in very good condition as it is now. Also, will this combo provide a very deep looking shine, more so than the NXT? Does it last longer than the NXT? Also, I am applying everything by hand, no buffers. Thanks in advance!

I would higly recommend a Porter Cable Orbital Polisher, especially for a black car. It will save you a ton of time and 3/4 the effort.

I recently used the following steps on 2 black cars for a car show, 1 car was bought 5 days prior with 40K miles on it, and it took 1st in its class.

(1) Wash with carwash soap
(2) Clay entire car, wiping down with detail spray as you go.
(3) By hand or using our Yellow foam pad, apply Swirl cutter, this will eliminate the swirls and small scratches the clay missed.
(4) Wipe down with Detail Spray using a microfiber towel
(5) By hand or usning our black finish pad, apply TC-3 polish, this will give you the depth and gloss you are looking for. You can also apply as many coats as you want to increase the depth and provide long lasting results.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris

jpk

Established Member
You say to apply the swirl cutter and polish by hand. Does that mean you use the Porter Cable on to remove a product, or do you use it to both apply and remove?

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
jpk said:
You say to apply the swirl cutter and polish by hand. Does that mean you use the Porter Cable on to remove a product, or do you use it to both apply and remove?

Use the Porter Cable to apply the product, both Swirl Cutter and the Polish. Then wipe it off by hand with a microfiber towel. But you can apply all by hand as well.

Chris

Juiced-03

Established Member
Tropi-CareChris said:
(3) By hand or using our Yellow foam pad, apply Swirl cutter, this will eliminate the swirls and small scratches the clay missed.

Not a flame, but since when does clay remove scratches and swirls? :dw:

Last edited:

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
Not a flame, but since when does clay remove scratches and swirls? :dw:

Clay wont remove swirls, as I said above. Clay will take out some large scratches and other junk on the paint. But to remove swirls, we developed the Swirl Cutter.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread