Need help with headlights all you electricians

blucobra03

Established Member
I have a 96 Mustang GT that as of yesterday the bright headlights no longer work. The regular headlights, parking lights and fog lights all work fine. Also the flash to pass, which uses the bright lights does not work. The bright light indicator on the dash comes on when you engage the bright light switch too. I took it to a local Ford dealer and was told that it was a 95% chance the switch on the steering column went bad. So, I spent the $64.00 for a new one and installed it a few minutes ago. Still no bright lights. All the others work fine as before. What could be the problem here ? Is there some fuse or any other switch between the arm switch on the steering column and the lights themselves ? I don't have a clue at this point and would appreciate any assitance you guys could offer. Thanks in advance !!

TLush

Established Member
My Chiltons book shows a fuse for the Flash to Pass (20A). That may controll the brights also.(?) If not try and take the sockets off of the bulbs and check for voltage with a test light, you should be able to figure which one is the ground, the low beams, and the high beams. if not check for unpluged (partially) plugs, pinched wires, mouse eaten wires, etc.
Good Luck

blucobra03

Established Member
Thanks for the advise guys. I checked the voltage at the headlight bulb sockets and found I had current for all the wires when on. So I remembered I had an old 9007 bulb and tried it out. Sure enough the high beams worked. So I went to the closest auto parts store and picked up a couple new bulbs and now everything is working OK. What do you think the chances are that two bulbs would go out at the same time. Definitely strange :shrug: Anyway, thanks for the help and have a great evening/day.

sibs4972

Established Member
Glad you got it resolved. Unfortunately, those are probably the most expensive bulbs you've ever purchased. :gt:

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Originally posted by sibs4972
Glad you got it resolved. Unfortunately, those are probably the most expensive bulbs you've ever purchased. :gt:

Unless you have the infamous "Ford leaking fog light housings". Those bulbs can get real expensive after every rainfall.

Users who are viewing this thread