!!!Need help with timing my Cobra!!! Please help

Nukem1040

Established Member
My engine got redone. When redoing my stock cams, which should the keyways be facing when setting the timing. Which valve should be open and which one closed on the number one piston? My guy is trying to finish the motor and not getting too much help off of Ford and another Cam site. Thanks guys

Toasty

Established Member
The Sean Hyland 4.6 engine book details this well I think. Pick up a copy off amazon and have it delivered tomorow. If you 'engine guy' doesnt have the correct reference manuals to assemble a 4.6 I would be slightly concerned....

Also, you can order a DVD from Sean Hyland's website that shows step by step how to properly time your 4.6 .

Nukem1040

Established Member
K. Thanks. I appreciate. Mine is the 1st DOHC he's done. He is very good and also did a turbo on a guy that works at Pro Line in ATL and he had good things to say. Anyways, not looking to get a book just yet. Someone out there always has a experiance. He also found on a website that when Ford did the timing, its alittle off from where it could be to get it just right. Any other opinions?

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Not trying to be an ass, but I'll be in your position soon, and I feel an owner needs all the tech data he can get. The suggestion you got makes a lot of sense to me. You may not use it every day, but when you need it (like now), it'll be there, waiting for you. If it's a matter of money, they aren't very expensive. If it's a matter of having to read it, you're on your own. JMO

Good luck on your tune-up.

Nukem1040

Established Member
LOL. Thanks Dano. Not so much just buying the book or reading(thats sad if people are too lazy to read). For instance, the other day I posted up a thing about the BBK underdrive pullies. Come to find out they are a "piggyback" design and not very liked. What did I do? I returned them to summit. Because of this Forum, these guys told me to get March pullies. It's these simple opinions helped me out quick. Trust me, we're not doing some back yard stuff, just a quick "hey, this is how ya do it". So everyone, please, we're not lazy and poor, I just posted it up here to get a quick run down. I will look into that Sean Hyland book though. Thank you

Nukem1040

Established Member
at least theres three of us with the same quetions:shrug:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
def. get the book, its cheap and will help you diagnose other problems, if your engine builder screws it up and the book would have told you how to do it right you will kill yourself, plus its a good read really and you will enjoy it for all teh other info about our engines it has in there

fourvalvegt

Established Member
its pretty much connect the dot. and the tensioners can be collapsed and held in place by a paper clip too. you will also need to lock tite every bolt you put in that has anything to do with timing. you should also have the keyway in the 12 o clock position because it is neutral, as far as the chains go the smaller chains are marked seven links apart so it would be like this + = = = = = + for the marks. the long chains they are exactly 180 degrees apart so you just pull the chains out as long as they will go and mark the two end links. if you are using stock cams there is a 3/8s drive in the back of the cam that you can use an extension and a breaker bar to rotate the cams.
the cams should have the keyway pointing straight up if the heads were lying on a level surface to make timing easier.
i dont know if this makes any sense or not, it does to me because i have done 100s of cams
the key things to remember are use plenty of locktite, paper clips are used in the tensioners until timing is done. play connect the dot, and double check everything. once its all done rotate the motor by hand a few times. i usually do about 4 crank revolutions so the cams spin 2 full times and you can make sure no valves are hitting the pistons

Users who are viewing this thread