need help

jenkins_1120

Established Member
well i started with my long tube install today and ran into a problem with the drivers side. we got it in and started bolting it down but the realized that we couldnt get the two middle bottom ones in. pulled the header back out and tried agian. it just seems like there is no room at all to even get any thing started

we got the passengers side in with little problems. just the egr is not lining up.

so is there anyway to get those middle bottom one in? i didnt get a pic of it on the car i tried it with the bolts and with the factory studs. im going to go back tues and finish it

2012-03-10_17-05-15_330-1.jpg

those are the two im having a problem with. as for the rtv on them thats what stainless works recommended per thier instructions

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I think I recall people leaving the factory studs in certain places for this very reason, but I don't know if it was those two or not. I haven't done LT's on a 500 yet so I don't have any specific advice. Usually when I run into a problem like that, I take a 15 minute break then go back with clear head and look real hard at what I'm missing. You got the other one out, you gotta be able to get this one in.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
I think it might go easier if you get the mount out of the way. The two bottom/middle bolts on the driver's side are tough. It might be easier if you re-use the factory stud with the nut instead of a single bolt, which is what I did on the second from the front hole. The passenger side you'll need to remove the battery and tray. Do a search and I'm sure you'll get more answers. Good Luck!

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I had the help of my brother at hand. He had to actually hold the header so I could get the bottom ones started. They had to be angled to go through the hole on the header. Put them in the header and then lined the header up. Once it was close he held ti while I turned them in.

If you start them and then try to install the rest of the bolts the will hit the tubes right behind them. Has be to snugged down evenly. Very easy and we didn't take out the motor mount. Only thing that kicked out butt for about 15 mins was getting the dipstick tube back in. Got pissed and gave it a shove and it spiraled it's way in.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
I had the help of my brother at hand. He had to actually hold the header so I could get the bottom ones started. They had to be angled to go through the hole on the header. Put them in the header and then lined the header up. Once it was close he held ti while I turned them in.

If you start them and then try to install the rest of the bolts the will hit the tubes right behind them. Has be to snugged down evenly. Very easy and we didn't take out the motor mount. Only thing that kicked out butt for about 15 mins was getting the dipstick tube back in. Got pissed and gave it a shove and it spiraled it's way in.

thanks for the responses. this is what i was thinkign have him hold it while i try to start one of them. i was by myself for the first half of the install then my roommate stopped by the hobby shop and gave me a hand.

Users who are viewing this thread