Need list of Mod's that require a chip Re-burn

Ebbsnflows

Established Member
Hi-
I've been "lurking" for a while trying to learn as much as I can without having to ask alot of "Newbie" questions...(I know how much they annoy me on LS1.com)...but it seems I can't avoid this newbie question: ;)

Which mods require me to send my chip back (w/ more $$$ of course :rolleyes:) for a reburn?? It seems silly for everyone to tell me that a "Chip and filter" should be your first mods, but then w/ each additional mod, the chip is made obsolete and requires tweaking.

Hell, even something as simple a Breather cap requires a re-program!!! That just doesn't sound very cost effective to me.

Shouldn't a chip be your LAST mod, that way everything can be included with only a single burn? I know that I can't be the first person to think this way....So please explain to me why my thinking is skewed and why I should buy a chip first.

Thanks!

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
Ebbs: Your 00 will require at least one more consideration than my 01 as it relates to a 'chip', i.e., your 80mm MAF vs my 90mm MAF. It seems the MAF(you 'want' the added 10mm) and the oil breather filter/cap would need a reburn. A trans valve or kit would too. Pulleys and th. bodys don't.

I think most everyone's 'chip' responce is more about it being the 'heart' of everything. So yes, decide or buy what you think you will need to get to the times you want and then notify your chip tuner and get the chip. BUT, I will 'bet' you that you will end up reburning at least once! AS you already know, the mods/e/ts are addictive.

Dan

Ebbsnflows

Established Member
Ok.....just to make sure I've got everything, the following require a Re-Burn:

- Gears
- 90mm
- NOS
- Shift kit
- Breather (This one cracks me up)

I would've thought that the L's ECM would be able compensate for the 90mm and Breather (possibly even the NO2). Does the stock programming have no ability to alter fuel trims at all?? That's kinda hard to imagine.

I don't plan on doing much performance-wise w/ the Lightning, just a few basics to add a little kick in the pants. The SS is my "Beast" and will be the only one running the 1320'. The L will be more of a show vehicle, capable of towing the SS (when it reaches the non-streetable stage).

Thanks again for the responses. :D

Ebbsnflows

Established Member
Originally posted by JJ's Whitelight
If you buy a JDM chip, the re-burns are free.....

That's what someone on the NLOC board said as well....but, then I saw a post that said he charges $75 for Re-burns. Which is it? Can someone verify this? (not that I don't believe what you're saying JJ...just wanna 2nd opinion :D :D ) If that is the case...then, Damn....I'll order a chip from him immediately!

Jeff S

Established Member
Ebbsnflows,

JDM charges $75 to reburn a Superchips brand chip purchased elsewhere and after that the reburns are free. If you buy your chip directly from JDM then reburn are free. Hopefully this clarifies things for you. You can call JDM at (732) 780-0770

Users who are viewing this thread