Need some advise..

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Just wondering about how all the military members went about this here. What did you say to your family when you joined? I'm going to be joining the Marines soon, I've been talking to some close friends who are in the marines, stopped by the recruiters office to talk to him a few times, but I just gotta figure some more things out, then I'll be signing the papers. My brother is joining the army.. I've only told my mother and a few of my close friends. My brother told both of my parents.. And things didnt go as well as I hoped.

My parents dont really want us to join. We both live at home while attending college.. I can just tell by the way they were talking to my older brother last night. My father was a marine for a few years during Vietnam (wasnt deployed), and just doesnt want to see us go.

My mother wants me to finish college before I go, which isnt what I'm planning on doing. She said "I'll be very disappointed in you if you dont finish college"... Which kinda ticked me off. Its not like I wont ever go to college again, its just its not what I want to do right now.

How should I go about this? I want my parents to support my decision, but if they dont, then I really dont care.

What should I do here?

Feel free to send me a PM in you want to talk in private also..

Thanks,
- Mike

Last edited:

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
This can be a tough subject for some parents to talk about... I'd say most of the concern is your safety. Just listen to their thoughts and worries. Don't forget to bring up the new G.I. Bill, it is -very- nice for college benefits. Just talk with them with an open mind.

I know when I brought up the idea to my dad about my joining, he said one thing to me... "Don't you dare join the Navy, if you do anything, go Air Force." (He had just retired from 20yrs of Navy service.) Needless to say, when a Navy recruiter showed up the next day at 900am, he wasn't too happy with me. haha

I'm glad I enlisted, best choice I have made.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I told my Mom that I was going to do whatever the **** I wanted to do. The Air Force told me otherwise:kaboom:

]sVt[Po|son

Established Member
Mike,
Its hard to go against your parent's will, but eventually the choice is yours, and you have to live with it. Do what you want to do. I recently enlisted in the Army, I ship out April, 2010 to Ft Benning. My parents also want me to finish college just like yours, but I have decided to join the team first.

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
I'd find out the exact reasons why they don't want you to go. Just not wanting you to go doesn't cut it. If your mom wants you to finish college, I can understand that...but she needs to understand between the new GI bill and the tuition assistance while your in going to college will be pretty easy....financially anyways.
When I first talked to my dad about it...his exact words were..."to hell if I'd go in right now". This being right after 9/11. Once I decided to go in..he was fine with it. My mom just didn't want me to leave....and still doesn't like the fact I don't live "at home" anymore.
IMO military>college. IF you actually take advantage of the stuff they offer. You can do alot in 4 years other than just taking classes.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Thanks for the advise everyone.

What should I say though? I'm really not sure how to go about this. I've already told my mom about the G.I. Bill in regards to college, but that didnt go far with her.

I'd rather have them support my decision rather than just have me do it anyway, but I feel as though I may just have to do my own thing anyway.

99navert

Established Member
Be honest, explain your reasons for wanting to go join & hopefully they can see it from your point of view. Do you want to go into a combat MOS or support? Support may be alittle easier for them to take. Just remember no matter what job you pick you will always be rifleman first.

bnd3672

Established Member
How close are you to finishing school? If you're close it may be worth it to stick it out... It's always hard to go back. Does your school have an ROTC program?

In the end the heart wants what it wants... If you decide you want to enlist now, by all means go for it! It's a very respectable thing to do. If you do decide to do this, I would suggest being assertive, yet tactful, with your parents. It is, afterall, your life.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Be honest, explain your reasons for wanting to go join & hopefully they can see it from your point of view. Do you want to go into a combat MOS or support? Support may be alittle easier for them to take. Just remember no matter what job you pick you will always be rifleman first.

I'd rather be combat

How close are you to finishing school? If you're close it may be worth it to stick it out... It's always hard to go back. Does your school have an ROTC program?

In the end the heart wants what it wants... If you decide you want to enlist now, by all means go for it! It's a very respectable thing to do. If you do decide to do this, I would suggest being assertive, yet tactful, with your parents. It is, afterall, your life.

Freshman in college.... :(

bnd3672

Established Member
ROTC, staying in school without ROTC, and enlisting are all good options. Do some research, and some soul searching. Decide what's best for you. Listen to reason, but don't let anyone take away your dream, whatever it may be.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Finish college and become an officer. There are several routes you can take to do that. If you go in it will be difficult right now to continue with school while in.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I remember it very well, i said, hey im going to enlist tomorrow. My parents were upset but thought i wasnt serious cause i had said it a few times before. they were in total shock when the recruiter came and picked me up to take me to MEPS. Bottom line is its your life, your decision, not your parents, so do what you think is best for YOU. Leaving my family and serving was the best decision i have ever made, at the time i wasnt to keen on ever saying that stuff, but now that im out and have been back here for a while, i see how ****ered up everything and everyone is now. People change, and your parents will support you no matter what. Especially moms. Good luck

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I waited till my parents left on vacation haha. Then I called them after I signed my DEP paperwork.

Do what you want, parents obviously don't want their kids in harms way, but will still be very proud of you.

bwd0311

Established Member
my parents had to sigh with me cause i went in the dep at 17 and inlist to now i didnt leave till i was 18 though. i have a military family so not a big deal. you do what you want in the end they will be proud of you for being a marine. im in the marines and have been for like 6 years. lots of bullshit but its all good in the end. let be know when you come down here i am a pmi and knw tons of people on pi including drill instructors. collage can be done in the military for free and you can transfor your credits if it is a accredible collage. good luck. its all up to you in the end!

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
my parents had to sigh with me cause i went in the dep at 17 and inlist to now i didnt leave till i was 18 though. i have a military family so not a big deal. you do what you want in the end they will be proud of you for being a marine. im in the marines and have been for like 6 years. lots of bullshit but its all good in the end. let be know when you come down here i am a pmi and knw tons of people on pi including drill instructors. collage can be done in the military for free and you can transfor your credits if it is a accredible collage. good luck. its all up to you in the end!

Hey you wouldn't happen to know Sgt. Daniel Angus (PMI) would you? I'm honestly not sure if he is still there. Just a shot in the dark. He went PMI back in 07 when he re-uped when I EAS'd.

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
Just wondering about how all the military members went about this here. What did you say to your family when you joined? I'm going to be joining the Marines soon, I've been talking to some close friends who are in the marines, stopped by the recruiters office to talk to him a few times, but I just gotta figure some more things out, then I'll be signing the papers. My brother is joining the army.. I've only told my mother and a few of my close friends. My brother told both of my parents.. And things didnt go as well as I hoped.

My parents dont really want us to join. We both live at home while attending college.. I can just tell by the way they were talking to my older brother last night. My father was a marine for a few years during Vietnam (wasnt deployed), and just doesnt want to see us go.

My mother wants me to finish college before I go, which isnt what I'm planning on doing. She said "I'll be very disappointed in you if you dont finish college"... Which kinda ticked me off. Its not like I wont ever go to college again, its just its not what I want to do right now.

How should I go about this? I want my parents to support my decision, but if they dont, then I really dont care.

What should I do here?

Feel free to send me a PM in you want to talk in private also..

Thanks,
- Mike

have you thought about staying in college, getting a degree and then going to the Marine Corps? if i were you thats what i would do.....believe me if i could go back and finish college instead of joining the navy thats what i would do. you will double your pay as an officer, get better benefits and just pretty much get treated better. also the jobs offered to you as an officer are more desireable. the amount of school and studying you will do in the Marine Corps will make college look like a day in the park. if you trust nothing else that i have ever said on this forum, PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS!! GET YOUR EDUCATION, THEN IF YOU WANT TO BE A MARINE, BE A MARINE OFFICER. whatever you decide all the best to you and your family.

respectfully,

Brian

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
have you thought about staying in college, getting a degree and then going to the Marine Corps? if i were you thats what i would do.....believe me if i could go back and finish college instead of joining the navy thats what i would do. you will double your pay as an officer, get better benefits and just pretty much get treated better. also the jobs offered to you as an officer are more desireable. the amount of school and studying you will do in the Marine Corps will make college look like a day in the park. if you trust nothing else that i have ever said on this forum, PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS!! GET YOUR EDUCATION, THEN IF YOU WANT TO BE A MARINE, BE A MARINE OFFICER. whatever you decide all the best to you and your family.

respectfully,

Brian

THIS!! Being a Marine officer is the only way to go. You have alot more responsibility from the get-go, but it is worth it. I havent met any disgruntled Lieutenants yet, but you see angry E1-E3's all the time.

When I made my decision I told my dad I had to tell him something, so we sat down and I told him what I wanted to do. I was 17 so I needed both parents to sign. My dad was pretty quick to sign. When I told my mom she said she wouldn't sign anything. I told her I could just do it when I turn 18 anyways so she was just delaying me, a few weeks later when signing time came, she was there for me and has been supportive every since!

Good luck on whatever you decide to do :beer:

Eagle24

bad mamba jamba
Established Member
I'm in the Army, I'm an Infantryman I've been deployed 2x to Afghanistan. I've had some of the best times and worst in my life since I've been in. I've met some of the closest friends I think I will ever meet in my lifetime. I am getting out after I do a 2 yr drill tour in Benning, but I definately do not regret enlisting. In your situation, I can only tell you that you have already made your mind up, helping your parents understand is something only you can do, good luck and I hope you find what your looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread