New Lightning owner, keeping the XR4Ti though.

faylo

Established Member
Hey all! I am picking up a new Blue '02 L on wednesday. (Can you believe I found a noncurrent L?) I have always had a preference for Fords and in 1989 I purchased a new 1988 Merkur XR4Ti. I still have it and have upgraded the suspension and engine over the years. The Merkur runs strong, corners like it is on rails and is in very good condition. I am keeping it because I can't sell it for enough. Also, I have had bad luck with selling cars and motorcycles to people who say they'll take care of them and then they abuse/destroy them. When I have worked so hard to keep them in shape.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good full all weather cover for the L? The garage is full and it must sit outside for the time being.
Thanks!
-jim

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Not too many true blue L's floating around! Can't wait to see some pics :beer:....as for the cover :shrug: no clue here

faylo

Established Member
Well, I picked up the truck. WOW!

I have driven many very fast motorcycles (father was a Kawasaki dealer 1970-2000) and a few fast cars over the years, so the acceleration doesn't "scare" me but after 100+ miles I realize that I will have to respect it. The acceleration is so smooth and continuous that it doesn't feel like it is doing anything until you look at the speedo. HOLY ****! 110! No wonder the cars seems to going so slow today.

My current bike is a ZX11 and its power doesn't really come on till about 4500-5000 rpm and then it is scary up to redline at 11000. As I mentioned earlier my other car is a modified xr4ti (turbo for those that don't know) and its power doesn't hit until 2500-3000 and then it is not quite scary up to redline at 6000. Unless it is wet, then watch out! Both have a relatively narrow power band and thus are fun in their own right.

But the L! Its power is there from the bottom to the top. The L is very sedate when driven easily, so other people can have time to admire it, and very stable at speed. Crosswinds didn't seem to affect it much at all.

I also dig the SC whine. Like a turbo, it anounces that this vehicle is something special. The exhaust note is also nice. It is not too loud but there is enough there that the motorheads at the construction sites and kids on bicycles snap their heads around to check it out.

I am going to wait a couple of years before doing anything to boost HP, if at all, and will be hanging around here to get ideas. I have to decide what I want to do about the bed. I like the hard tonneau covers for the locking and protection abilities but I like the soft tonneaus for the looks and cost. I can get the Ford tonneau for cost and install it myself but a hard tonneau is more practical and expensive.

I look forward to participating in the forums and may be able to contribute with the experiences and information I have gained from years of playing the xr4ti.

Oh, and one other thing. What is the PCM used in the L? EECIV or EECV or ? Has anyone used the EEC Tuner I have heard about on the Ford Turbo board?

Drive Fast!
-jim

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
faylo: You name enunciates into "fat ass" in Mandarin Chinese. Thought you might like to know =>)

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
BTW: Willkommen! Dábro pazhálovatch'! Karibu! Bienvenido! Swaagatam! Merhaba! Ni hao! Welcome!

faylo

Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
faylo: You name enunciates into "fat ass" in Mandarin Chinese. Thought you might like to know =>)

Hmmm, I never thought to ask my wife what it means in Mandarin. In Cantonese it means "fat man", or so I am told. In either case, both are true! Now I'll have to check to see what it means in Shanghainese?
Thanks for the welcome.:)
-jim

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
I stand corrected, faylo. Your name does indeed enunciate into "fat man" in Cantonese...
"Fat ass" is the R-rated translation...

Users who are viewing this thread