new owner questions

sliver-cobra-01

Established Member
I've had my 2001 cobra for about 3 weeks and I have a couple of questions and hope that you guys can give me some adivce. First my floor mats were missing from the car when I picked it up. the dealership sent me some a few days later but they are terrible (don't fit and wrong color). They say "too bad" we can't order them from ford. Where can I find some floor mats that will fit? Second, at startup (cold or hot) the engine revs to 2200 RPM for about 1 second and then settles down to 8 - 9 hundred. Is this normal? thanks

sliver-cobra-01

Established Member
Thanks for the information about the floor mats. I wonder if any aftermarket suppliers offer a floor mat that fits? These they gave me don't even have the eyehook and they are the wrong shape for the floor. Also, it's good to know that others have the startup spike to 2k. It seems kind of hard on the motor to rev it up so high in the first second of life.

No pings with mine. I have 1600 miles on it, never used less than 93 gas and its bone stock. But then again it has never seen over 5k on the tac either.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
You may want to try out www.mustangparts.com for Cobra floormats....goodluck :) I'll eventually get around to obtaining ones with the Cobra logo on them. I got my car without the mats, so instead I just went to a local auto parts store and bought ones that match up fine :)

Snake Eyez

Established Member
I got mine from Late Model Restoration Supply. 866-50-RESTO. They match perfect and cost me $63.50 with the embroidered Cobra Logo.

Snake Eyez

Established Member
As far as the idle goes, mine does the same thing. I think this is normal, someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by sliver-cobra-01
Also, it's good to know that others have the startup spike to 2k. It seems kind of hard on the motor to rev it up so high in the first second of life.

The "spike" you refer to is not only normal, it is by design. With our higher compression motors, and relatively low rotating mass, when the RPMs come back down toward idle (whether it be from pushing the clutch in to come to a stop, or when you start the car) the computer keeps the RPMs a little up for a second to ensure that the engine doesn't die (provides a more gradual decrease in RPM) because of the high compression and low idle. 900 is about right for a cold idle, and the warm idle should be somewhere between 650-750. Hope this helps your concerns. Trust me, this little rev when you start it is not hurting the engine (unless your're one of those guys that doesn't change his oil, but i don't think we have any of those on here).

isdnmatt

Established Member
Careful on the floor mats. Alot of them were warping and getting up underneath the pedals.

Also, that start up rev is to get oil up into the top parts of the engine as soon as the engine starts. It's hard to get lubrication up to the OHC, so the computer just throws that rev to get everything lubricated.

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread