New Truck Decisions

mach14604

Established Member
I have placed my order for an F-350 Super Duty. I ordered a Silver and Sterling Gray Accent F-350 Lariat. It has Snow Plow Package, Roof Clearance Lights, Premium 20in Wheels, Lariat Interior Package, 3.55 Locking Axle, FX4 Package, Chrome 5 inch cab steps, Heated Rear Seat, Dual Alternators, Rapid Cab Heater, Engine Block Heater, Splash Guards. My price out the door is $58,055.

My dilemma now is should I have gotten the Platinum Edition because of where I am price wise in the end on this truck? I have until the Jan. 2nd to change my order.

Silver or Black. I could have had an F-350 Platinum for $60,833 with no heated rear seat or $60,509 with no dual alternators or rear heated seat.

I could have even got did a F-250 Platinum Edition Black or Silver for $60,248.
I could have had an F-250 Platinum for $59,992 with no heated rear seat or $59,992 with no dual alternators or rear heated seat.

All prices are X-plan.
My budget was $60,000. One reason I kind of didn't get the Platinum because I would have to get a new tonneau cover (I have get a new Undercover Tonneau because the Platinum have the tailgate step and my current truck does not. I was hoping to save some money by just swapping covers.
I need this truck to tow my 20ft enclosed car hauler with my Mustang (about 7000lbs with car it it) and 18ft open landscape trailer with my zero turns on.
What do you think? Did i make the right decision? Is there anything I you think I ordered and didn't need or something I didn't think of? I really tried to do my homework but couldn't really find of clear differences in the F250 and F350. The F350 really seemed to sit higher in both in front and back (I can see a difference in the space between the tire and fender). Thanks for any input you have.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
There is not much difference between the 250 and 350 with the exception of the GVWR. The 350 single rear wheel trucks have 1000 lbs of additional payload capacity. This is huge if you're one of those weight police type people, and get into pulling big campers or heavier loads. For pricing, my rule of thumb for superdutys is to go for a minimum of 10K under MSRP. You may have to wait for a little help from rebates, but it's not too hard to get that price.

Yellow4.6

Established Member
Your spending 58K for a truck thinking of spending 60K and your worried about a $300 cover? LOL

Seriously though it's preference really, what do you think your gonna use on it? Are all the bells and whistles worth 60K? I've had 2 F250's a 92 and an 08, my F350 is an 04 LB I like my 04 the best, it's an XLT and not nearly the options my 08 had (Loaded FX4). But I wanted to get back to a Real truck without the frills.

Minimal differences in the 350/250 mainly payload/towing capacities. Not sure on exact specs on the new ones. Be aware though the 1 tons do cost more on annual registration.

I'm assuming your looking at a diesel as well?

Might help ya out:

2014 Ford Super Duty | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com

mach14604

Established Member
The Undercover Tonneau covers are like $700-800. That is why I have the issue with it and I would never go back to a regular cover again.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I think the biggest difference between 250 and 350 is the 350's have an extra leaf spring over the 250 for the added towing/ hauling capacity. while the platinums and King ranches are super nice, I don't know that I would get a truck with all the leather and stuff. I do like the dual zone climate control in the newer cars since my wife and I have VERY different comfort zones lol. But other than getting sync, and maybe navigation if i really wanted to splurge, I would be super happy with a no frills truck. just the right engine/ gears/ fifth wheel hitch is all I would care about.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I just went for the F450 Lariat (don't like the KR seats or 2-tone) and checked every option except the chrome package. I didn't want to later regret not getting something. Sticker was around $65K. I got the truck for $56K OTD with lojack and 5th wheel hitch in California.

mach14604

Established Member
At this point, unless I had to have a new truck right now I'd wait for the 2015 Duty.

I ended up ordering a 2014 actually. The 2015 sounds nice but I and kind of done with First year run cars and trucks because of having to work things out. I am a little worried that Ford is kind of rushing to market on this and there may be some problems for 2015. So at that point I would wait for a 2016(I know at that point a truck won't be in the cards for me). I have a 6.7 Currently and it makes a ton of power and does more than I want. I can only imagine the upgraded engine will be a beast.

Users who are viewing this thread