Nitrous Dry Kit and Stock Tune

KidMoney

Established Member
Anyone doing this? Any dyno or track numbers? A/F numbers? Would really like some real world feedback from people that have done it. Tuners especially welcome. Lol. Also, pre MAF?

CharlieR

Established Member
Anyone doing this? Any dyno or track numbers? A/F numbers? Would really like some real world feedback from people that have done it. Tuners especially welcome. Lol. Also, pre MAF?
It's me again. :) I'm just trying to help, so I'll put this here and leave your thread alone. In Feb 2011 @ JMS in Lucedale,MS We(Monty) started working on my(their :))dry kit. 1st attempt was(like 3 other cars of mine) in front of maf(this was a small test hit) -2 timing and TQ management were turned off(, something that will not be "untuned". This was data logged w/ A/F. It was decided it was not the right way for these cars. This doesn't even take "untuned" into account where the computer actually has "control" of your throttle. Moved inlet after maf, added "fuel" and 3 pulls later I had 500rwhp/580 TQ w/ a .052 jet. That is supersafe, 10.8ish A/F and -6(yep I know) degrees from stock. Run 93 only even on spray.
I'd be interested to see if anyone has done this long term without issue, and if any tuners tried it, with data logs(not asking to see your info just that you have it) and felt it was o.k./safe.
If you don't want this info here PM me and I will delete this post, it's your thread and you got this from me before. :)

Yes pre Maf info if anyone has tried it. I ran a 50 shot infrot of my meter on almost every Mustang I have owned without any problems.
Me too, until this one. Some way more than 50. :burnout:

KidMoney

Established Member
It's me again. :) I'm just trying to help, so I'll put this here and leave your thread alone. In Feb 2011 @ JMS in Lucedale,MS We(Monty) started working on my(their :))dry kit. 1st attempt was(like 3 other cars of mine) in front of maf(this was a small test hit) -2 timing and TQ management were turned off(, something that will not be "untuned". This was data logged w/ A/F. It was decided it was not the right way for these cars. This doesn't even take "untuned" into account where the computer actually has "control" of your throttle. Moved inlet after maf, added "fuel" and 3 pulls later I had 500rwhp/580 TQ w/ a .052 jet. That is supersafe, 10.8ish A/F and -6(yep I know) degrees from stock. Run 93 only even on spray.
I'd be interested to see if anyone has done this long term without issue, and if any tuners tried it, with data logs(not asking to see your info just that you have it) and felt it was o.k./safe.
If you don't want this info here PM me and I will delete this post, it's your thread and you got this from me before. :)

Me too, until this one. Some way more than 50. :burnout:

Ha ha. No. I want your info, as well as others. Why was it unsafe? Also, was there any parts failure or just the air fuel looked unsafe? I'm looking for the pros and cons of this setup. Completely stock would be ideal.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
First, nitrous and stock tune should never be used in the same sentence. Why do you want to do this? Is it a warranty issue? Tuned or not, there are ways to tell if your using nitrous. Seems like if you can afford a nitrous kit, you shouldn't have any problem being able to get a good dyno tune done as well.

04compgt

Established Member
I run a dry kit on my car and I tune the car myself via SCT Pro Racer software. I set the commanded WOT Air/Fuel to .80 Lambda and lower the timing -4 Degrees from stock and run the solenoid in the trunk to delay the nitrous hit to let the fuel get there first before the nitrous to avoid any lean spikes on the initial hit. I have not dyno'd my car yet with the nitrous kit but I can tell you that it feels very quick. I have not sprayed my car for long term but all the datalogs I have done tell me it is safe but only time will tell. Also I run a 1 degree colder NGK Plug for safety margin and also gapped tight for nitrous and I added 47# Injectors to make sure it has enough fuel. I am currently on a quest for low 11's N/A so I have not sprayed my car at the track other than the street about 10 times.

grnenvy

Established Member
My 50 shot was in conjuction with being supercharged. I use it for its cooling properties its awesome with a blower. A small shot of 50hp ususally helps more then hurts being it cools the intake charge so much. Zero heat soak zero detonation. I never even had to back the timing down or change the tune. I just made sure I ran Torco Acclerator with it.
Another benifit was that to make a kit like this it only cost around $300 and it's so simple.

Last edited:

CharlieR

Established Member
Ha ha. No. I want your info, as well as others. Why was it unsafe? Also, was there any parts failure or just the air fuel looked unsafe? I'm looking for the pros and cons of this setup. Completely stock would be ideal.
A/F is commanded in the computer. Untuned, it will be on N2O what it is N/A,IMO too lean for "power adders". The biggest issue was not exactly what was seen, but what the data logs was saying it took to keep it where it was(fuel trims, Knock sensors(yep after -2 degrees,maybe knock maybe cold iat due to n2o), ect. I can not give all exact figures because it was an almost 2 year ago failed experiment and it was discarded as "bad idea" so info wasn't kept by me (I can call JMS and see if they saved it, but I doubt it). No there was no parts damage, either from this test or from the kit I've had since that day. This was 100% stock from air filter to exhaust tips for this test(still is mostly :)) didn't have converter yet. Only changes from stock was the trans locked in 4th, the -2 degrees,DBW and TQ management gremlins were beaten down with an SCT/JMS stick(turned off).
If you can do the work yourself it'll cost you about 3k to build a short block/engine and put it in if not can be 7-10k,vs. the cost of a tune? and if it's tuned anyway you can spray after maf and eliminate "extra inputs" from the computer gremlins. :)

I run a dry kit on my car and I tune the car myself via SCT Pro Racer software. I set the commanded WOT Air/Fuel to .80 Lambda and lower the timing -4 Degrees from stock and run the solenoid in the trunk to delay the nitrous hit to let the fuel get there first before the nitrous to avoid any lean spikes on the initial hit. I have not dyno'd my car yet with the nitrous kit but I can tell you that it feels very quick. I have not sprayed my car for long term but all the datalogs I have done tell me it is safe but only time will tell. Also I run a 1 degree colder NGK Plug for safety margin and also gapped tight for nitrous and I added 47# Injectors to make sure it has enough fuel. I am currently on a quest for low 11's N/A so I have not sprayed my car at the track other than the street about 10 times.
Tuned, not the same as what he wants but good info for others. I run same plugs. like, ltx-11 or something or other. :)

My 50 shot was in conjuction with being supercharged. I use it for its cooling properties its awesome with a blower. A small shot of 50hp ususally helps more then hurts being it cools the intake charge so much. Zero heat soak zero detonation. I never even had to back the timing down or change the tune. I just made sure I ran Torco Acclerator with it.
Another benifit was that to make a kit like this it only cost around $300 and it's so simple.
:beer: Before MAF .022 jet on procharged 99 2v. went from 435 to 479rw. N2O cooling rules. Done the Before MAF nitrous before no issues, not on this one. Can not recommend it, have tried to prevent it especially untuned. :)

KidMoney

Established Member
First, nitrous and stock tune should never be used in the same sentence. Why do you want to do this? Is it a warranty issue? Tuned or not, there are ways to tell if your using nitrous. Seems like if you can afford a nitrous kit, you shouldn't have any problem being able to get a good dyno tune done as well.

I didn't ask for your opinion on if you think it's a good idea. I want real world input from people who have done it or are doing it. My main interest is in why it would be an issue. I know it can be done in the short term.

CharlieR

Established Member
I didn't ask for your opinion on if you think it's a good idea. I want real world input from people who have done it or are doing it. My main interest is in why it would be an issue. I know it can be done in the short term.
Found this in E85 and N2O thread on here. Came from Shaun@AED, and isn't even talking untuned.
Dry kit + IAT relocation so we don't put fueling in via Maff (wrong tuning strategy).
Maybe you can ask him why.

You should also PM the guy from the other thread who said he's doing it(his friend actually, right?). On my .052 jet it takes less than 1 pound of n2o for a 1/4 mile pass(without progressive) so he should have 14-16 passes worth of info if he used 2 bottles that weekend.

OR, You could just not do it. :poke:

KidMoney

Established Member
He said wrong tuning strategy when the car is tuned. Again, I have no doubt that it works. I wanted people's feedback as far as times they ran or air fuel numbers. Good or bad. From what I'm personally seen I don't see what could be bad. That's why I want evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread