Nitrous on the street

ZeroSpinn

Car Mod Addict
Established Member
A few questions about nitrous use on a daily driver. 1) Is there a "shelf-life" to bottles? Like do I have to use say, a 10-lb bottle in a week or something gets messed up? 2) I've heard that nitrous doesn't create so much pressure as it does heat, therefore one can run high compression and nitrous at the same time, unlike ***chargers. So say on the street the max compression I can get on pump gas is 11:1, can I put a 200-shot on top of that and still run pump gas, or do I need to lower compression slightly?

TampaSVT

Established Member
Zero:

1. You only get 50 seconds(200shot) out of a 10lb. bottle.
2. You have nearly 400HP and one of the fastest vehicles out there. If you can't beat something on a street that people drive back and forth to work on with that much HP, you should offer to meet him at the track sometime.
3. Nitrous is for the track. Period.
4. Nobody wants to answer a question like that.

I'll tell you what I do if you promise to keep it a secret.
I'll pull up next to something that wants to run. Hit the purge a little(pssst! pssst!).
If he raises his hand and gives you a laugh, call it good. He doesn't want to run.
If he lights 'em up and takes off. Let him go. He's a moron to even want to race you. In the back of his mind, he know's you would have kicked his butt. Plus, he'll look stupid.

Either way you win.

People that ask these type of questions make me just want to stay indoors...

Ok, I'm stepping down off of my soapbox. I normally get nasty about this kinda stuff...

Be careful.

Last edited:

ZeroSpinn

Car Mod Addict
Established Member
Why so angry?

Hey man, why so angry? What are you talking about "people who ask these types of questions..."? You have nitrous on your Lightning, and on the street what the hell's the difference between nitrous and a supercharger? In magazines I see street cars with stupid power ALL the time. Talking about 400hp is more than enough, ppppsshhhh..... I thought you were a performance enthusiast... :cuss:

TampaSVT

Established Member
If you don't follow what I'm trying to tell you, then there's no reason to continue the lecture.

I'll just assume you've never hit the funny little red button before and can't respect what it does.

Nitrous is cool, just not on the street. Anybody that tells you otherwise is a moron. Don't know how else to say it.

Go rent Fast & Furious a couple of more times.

No flame intended. I've just got my reasons.

Rich

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
RIch,

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa man got kinda excited thre...... Il have to agreee with you Nawz aint for the street.... if you want sooething streetable get a s/c much more reliable plus you dont have to keep buying milk for the bottle.......... So go S/c and dont worry about trying to beat those fast little Civics :)

ZeroSpinn

Car Mod Addict
Established Member
OK, thanks for the info

Hey Tampa, sorry for the disrespect. I haven't tried nitrous on the street, so I guess you would know better than I would. Having not tried it yet, I just thought it would be like turning on and off a supercharger instead of being so different in whatever way you were talking about. The only reason I was thinking about nitrous is because I'm a poor college student and it would be a lot easier for me to save up $400 than $4,000. Thanks again for the help.

TampaSVT

Established Member
For some odd reason, I thought you were a Gen2 Lightning owner. My appologies. You may need the nitrous....

BTW, at 11:1, you can't use nitrous. Well, maybe just once.

Sorry for the lecture.

Rich

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by TampaSVT
For some odd reason, I thought you were a Gen2 Lightning owner. My appologies. You may need the nitrous....

BTW, at 11:1, you can't use nitrous. Well, maybe just once.

Sorry for the lecture.

Rich
Rich,

I would llove for him to use nos @ 11.1...... heheh

BTW best compression to use NOS would be around 9-9.5:1 just wanted to add that

Users who are viewing this thread