Noise from the shifter area

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
ok coming home today i was driving along @ 40 so in 5th gear and i went to pass a car when i got on it i heard a higher pitch rattle sound fron the shifter area... you have to listen for it a bit so i turn the radio off and @35-45 if you get on it or floor it in 5th 4th you can produce a noise fron the shifter area sounds like chirp not really a squel i have not really heard this sound untill today but all the way home i could reproduce this soundany gear lower then 4th its hard ot here it over the blower and or exhaust.

What is this sound is it the TOB? my girl friend noticed more gear wine in 1 gear about 2 nights ago when slowing down

i am going to make a apoint ment for my 12v power not working and i am going to hit them up for this noise any help would be great

3100 miles on the car

thansk alot

jeff

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Was your foot resting on the clutch? If it was, it could be the TOB. Mine makes a similar noise if I lightly push on the clutch.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
no when i push it in there is no noise...just when it is fully let out

Is there just normal drive line clater and slop?

This noise come right from the shifter area or behind or under the radio

thanks

Jeff :)

TR10thACoupe

Established Member
TOB = Throw Out Bearing.

Test driving a Cobra, I noticed horrible slop in the drive. I was expecting it to some extent with the T-5 I had in 97. When I returned to the dealer I told them I wanted to drive another car to compare this growl and whine, which vibrated the seats. I drove another Cobra and wasn't nearly as bad so I assumed it was the one the most people have test driven :) Making the great decision then, I bought one of the best cars ever I believe.

This noise is noticeable to me, however I understand that Ford built a race car on the production line with the 2003 Cobra, and luxury defintely is not a priority in respect to the performance. It just seems in 4th on accel. and 5th on accel. there is concerning growl coming through the boot. I have a habit of picking cars apart and am in all VERY PLEASED with Ford on the Cobra :beer:

I work as a squeak, rattle, and water test tech. for GM, and have been for 14 years now. I don't see how this problem could not have been fixed. Fact: GM has stopped and pulled back production to fix such minute things as a squeaky gas door? The Cobra doesn't even have a play to place your gas cap...:bash:

However please let me stress the fact that I am a strong believer in Ford and have chosen them for my "toy" for quite sometime now. I have owned and restored around 30 65-70 Mustangs and futher restoring countless Stangs, Shelbys, and luckys some A/C's in my youth and have loved them all.

Thank you Ford Motor Company for one strong breed of a car.

TR10thACoupe

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
ok, dont flame, as Im a complete NOOB when it comes to my 03...
My 03 makes quite a bit of noise, coming from the shifter, sounds kinda like my friends 97 cobra with a steeda tri-ax shifter...
Also, in a high gear (mainly 6th), if im cruising at a low rpm and tap the gas, you can hear a distinct "Clunking" sound...
Correct me if im wrong but arent these normal sounds? or is this something to be worried about?

Thanks

03torchvert

Established Member
Originally posted by MotoXracer21
ok, dont flame, as Im a complete NOOB when it comes to my 03...
My 03 makes quite a bit of noise, coming from the shifter, sounds kinda like my friends 97 cobra with a steeda tri-ax shifter...
Also, in a high gear (mainly 6th), if im cruising at a low rpm and tap the gas, you can hear a distinct "Clunking" sound...
Correct me if im wrong but arent these normal sounds? or is this something to be worried about?

Thanks

About the clunk is 6th fear.
In my car in any gear, if I tap the gas enough to jerk the car my tranny lets out a big clunk. I did not notice it until I put in the steeda shifter may have done it stock too. Anyone one else notice this.

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
Vector...have the dealer check it out.

I agree with most that our cars make lots of noise from the drive line. One owner described the sound of our trans as compared to the old "Rock Crusher" performace transmissions. As far as the new noise you are hearing...it may be the TOB or something else. Try driving next to a highway barrier or row of trees with your window down. The sound will bounce off the barrier and be amplified...you may be able to isolate and ID it.

Good Luck!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread