"Normal" for a new motor to eat some oil?

Teal Terminator

Established Member
I just recently had my motor beefed up (20 over, CP pistons, Total Seal rings, etc) and its got a little over 1000 miles on it now. Since it's rebuild I have probably put 1.5 quarts of oil in it. I was just wondering if it is normal for a fresh motor to eat some oil until the rings fully seat? I've noticed some puffs of oil at start up sometimes (more so though if I start it up real quick to move it or something and then shut it off and the next time I start it up will be some smoke). This seems to be a fairly common issue with these motors though from the factory.

I have the PCV oil filter "mod" and have not had much oil "blown" into that. Just thought I would get some info from you folks who have either built motors or had yours built. If this is not so "normal" then I may try and get back over to my engine builders shop this weekend or next and do a quick compression or leak down test just to make sure everything is sealing like it should.

Thanks for any input,
Ryan

ViciousJay

Established Member
these cars have faulty dipsticks... i think its supposed to be around 6-6.5... i hope you didnt over fill it

Teal Terminator

Established Member
I'm pretty sure my dipstick read accurate before (ie it read somewhere right around the top of the full mark before the rebuild). While it was out I went ahead and put a Canton pan on it so now it takes another quart but that still shouldn't affect where the dip stick reads. Secondly, I know when my engine builder filled it up he put the correct amount of oil in it and I have just been topping it off to where the dip stick read right after the rebuild.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The correct amount of oil should show up in the middle of the dip stick. Right between low and full (add). The dip sticks are not correct. 6.5 quarts is what I have been using since day one. If you are above that mark I would recommend removing some oil. You are safe up to that mark according to some people, but the correct amount is at the middle point, reguardless of what oil pan you are using.

But to answer you first question, your motor should not be using oil. I have never had to add oil to my cobra between changes.

-Jeff

dougwg

Established Member
03sonicsvt said:
My MMR motor instructions said it was normal to consume some oild during the "break in"

1000 miles, it's broke in!

sounds like you have a bad valve seal.

Change the oil, put the correct amount in, drive for 3000 miles, check for oil loss.

If you have oil loss talk to your engine builder.

I would also inform them of your concerns asap.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
HISSMAN said:
The correct amount of oil should show up in the middle of the dip stick. Right between low and full (add).
My dipstick has only one flat space on it, on one side it say MIN on the other MAX. Is mine different from yours or do you mean full is just right in the middle?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Min max, low full, same thing. I was just recalling from memory. But you get the idea. The middle is where you want it.

screamngdave

Back in Time....
Established Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
NothinButNotch said:
I just recently had my motor beefed up (20 over, CP pistons, Total Seal rings, etc) and its got a little over 1000 miles on it now. Since it's rebuild I have probably put 1.5 quarts of oil in it. I was just wondering if it is normal for a fresh motor to eat some oil until the rings fully seat? I've noticed some puffs of oil at start up sometimes (more so though if I start it up real quick to move it or something and then shut it off and the next time I start it up will be some smoke). This seems to be a fairly common issue with these motors though from the factory.

I have the PCV oil filter "mod" and have not had much oil "blown" into that. Just thought I would get some info from you folks who have either built motors or had yours built. If this is not so "normal" then I may try and get back over to my engine builders shop this weekend or next and do a quick compression or leak down test just to make sure everything is sealing like it should.

Thanks for any input,
Ryan

Double check with your engine builder, but depending on ring package used in your engine, it is perfectly normal for a built engine to use a qaurt of oil between oil changes. Some of the ring packages used in todays engines don't seal until they're loaded. During idle and normal driving they don't scrape the oil off the cylinder walls as well as the stock rings. hope this helps,
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread