Noticed something interesting today about my mt82

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Ok so long story short my car has 2600 miles on it and I'm on my second mt82. The first trans shifted fine! Just developed an whine at 200 miles on the car. Ford dealer replaced it no problem. Now I'm on the second tranny which I received at 2300 miles. When I got the car back I drive home and changed the fluid out to redline mtl 70w80 now the trans whines a little but not as even as close to as loud as the first trans. It's shifts way smoother then the first trans also. Now the past couple of days down here in FL its been in the 50's in the morning. The trans barely whines when I first drive it now as the fluid warms up the whine becomes more noticeable as the mtl fluid warms up but not by any means loud. So my question is would going to royal purple 75w90 or to the redline mtl 75w90 be a little thicker and could possible keep the trans quite? I feel that nothing is really hurting itself in the tran since it only happens once the fluid is warm causing a little more gear noise and whine. The dealer also told me I have the most updated mt82 trans from ford yet. I have the part number also. Any suggestions would be great!

fake

Established Member
I have had MTL in mine since July. I switched out with only 900 miles on the OD.
I only hear a slight gear whine in 2nd gear. If I have the radio on, I can't hear it. I also have to really listen for it also.

Remember, the MTL is an oil weight right in the middle of the QS and QDC(tsb fluid).

Going to a thicker weight in the cooler months will only make the shifting more difficult until warmed up.

2011redcandy

Established Member
Im on my 2nd trans as well. I was driving with my Fiance last night and she says "You got the supercharger without telling me!". I said no, thats my trans whining LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread