Oil seperator install question ( teflon vs. RTV)

adamb258

Established Member
I am doing one of the home made jobs and have a quick question. Everyone says to use teflon tape on the thread that go into the seperator, can I just use RTV sealant? I really wantd to put it on in the mornin but didnt want to drive to home depot to buy teflon tape when I have 3 different kinds of rtv just siting here.

Thanks,
Adam

porktyme

Senor bang bang
Established Member
you can use RTV. actually use anything that's impervious to oil. the RTV will make any future uninstalls a PITA (pain in the a**).

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
what do you have against doing a job the right way?

they're pipe threads. use pipe thread sealant, not gasket sealer - eg., teflon tape or teflon sealing compound. of course this assumes you are smarter than the tape and can put it on going the right direction.

and unless you get both pcv tubes through a seperator, you're just pissing in the wind. the drivers side has a pcv valve too...

Last edited:

GotGrunt

Established Member
the RTV will make any future uninstalls a PITA
That's why I wouldnt, although it would most likely work.

and unless you get both pcv tubes through a seperator, you're just pissing in the wind. the drivers side has a pcv valve too...
He's probably installing the separator on the drivers side. The passenger side doesn't have a PCV valve.

Heres a pic of mine. Notice the teflon tape :-D

sonic172vy.jpg

WDW MKR

Established Member
Take the filter out if you're running one of the Home Depot jobs. The filters are not rated for synthetic and will eventually collapse and restrict flow. Just the open catch can will drop the oil out by means of pressure drop.

adamb258

Established Member
not running synthetic now, but that is what I plan on doing when I switch!

jaxnjnc

Established Member
GotGrunt
How much oil do you catch in your seperator on a weekly basis?
My understanding is it's only an issue when backing off from wide open throttle.

GotGrunt

Established Member
It catches a decent amount of oil. Probably about 1/4 way full in under 500 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread