On a Quest to tame the road noise...

PhantomX

Established Member
Well after driving my SHO around the Mustang, while quieter then Stangs past is pretty noisy in comparison. I love the exhaust sounds but the rest can go. I'm kinda picky so I want the best of both worlds, no road noise and exhaust note when I want it, otherwise I want the thing to be quiet.

So I started by removing the stupid "annoyance tube" (aka sound tube) from under the hood. That was just a dumb ass idea as it not only transmits the intake noise you get all the mechanical noises as well. With it removed and the hole plugged even my wife said it was quieter.

The next step was to work on the trunk. To save weight Ford did little (read, nothing) for sound deadning back there. And since I have no spare it was like a big ass speaker box reverbing the exhuast thru the trunk and subsequently the rest of the car.

Solution: Dynamat
photo.gif

Did the spare tire well and some of the rear speaker deck and after settling for an evening the ride to work this morning was much better. I could stil hear the exhaust, it toned it down a good bit but it took out a lot of the road noise from tires which was a big bonus.

I grabbed a 16sqft box from Best Buy for $75 and it did quite a bit, large areas anyway. I will probably grab another box and do under the side carpeted areas, up by the rear seats and some more on the back deck. Nice part is the carpet covers it all up so you never see it.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Looks like a good idea. I'd be interested to see what the measured noise reduction is though. If you have an android phone, there is a decibel meter app you can get that's free. I'm sure it's not exactly accurate, but as long as it's consistent you can use it for comparison purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread