One last "ooooRAH!"

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
or should I say hurrah?

Well I just got out Jan 3rd and still looking for a job. I got called by a prior service recruiter, I asked him a bunch of questions about doing reserves JUST to go to Afghanistan and come back and be on IRR again. Well now I'm stuck in a bind.

I would love to just go straight to Afghanistan dealing with minimal garrison BS, pocket some BAH since I will be in the reserves, deploy and come back living a civilian life again. I know there are plenty of people that have done it. I want to do this the right way though. I don't want to get stuck with a reserve unit that'll end up not deploying or (hopefully not) getting different orders.

SO is there a way I can get a contract made (kind of like a reenlistment contract). Where SNM (said named Marine= ME) will join reserve unit for the purpose of deploying to afghanistan, immediately upon return go BACK to IRR status (civilian). C'mon, I know somebody knows whats up!

-serpent

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
IIRC, there is a way to do that kind of stuff, however i forget the damn name of it.

05saleent

Established Member
I wasn't a PRS, but was a regular recruiter. I don't think they can do an active reserve contract like that. But before you sign any contract you should be going down to the reserve station that would be yours for an interview with the 1stSgt. That's when you can ask about deployments. If their not going anywhere, don't sign.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
IIRC, there is a way to do that kind of stuff, however i forget the damn name of it.

Are you thinking of Active Duty Special Work? I think that's only stateside but don't quote me.

In my experience in the IRR they will let you volunteer for just about anything you want. Depending on what you did when you were in, you can pick a unit that is deploying, and then go with them. For example they called me because I was 03xx w/clearance and asked if I wanted to be a part of a 3 stars entourage while he was in country. Ultimately I didn't do it, but I'm saying there are choices.

You get an activated reservist ID. Talk to MOBCOM, whoever he hooks you up with, and they should be able to work something out for you.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
In the end I think I'll just get screwed for the simple fact that nobody wants to do the extra paper work.
I hang out with my buddy who went to boot camp with me and crossed deck to 1/5 from 2/5, and I told him I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO regret not going to 1/5 (they were WAYYYY under T/O), and were asking any battalions from 5th REG for bodies.

I was one of those idiots who believed he could get a part time job while working at the SMP....

Thanks for the info guys.

Users who are viewing this thread