Opinions?? What Exhaust gives the best sound and HP gain?

matstang03

Established Member
Whats up guys? I just wanted a final opinion on what you guys think is the best Exhaust for the buck? I am leaning towards Bassani, with the whole group thing that is taking place. I am gonna get the x-pipe and catback exhaust. But before that happens, i just want to see what you guys think. Please fill me in on what you think gives the best sound and HP gain
thanx guys

Matt

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I recommend Bassani. Even on my 98GT it sounded amazing. It was loud but it still sounded good. I got the x-pipe with high flow catback.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
oh yeah, one more thing. I didn't get a dyno before and after for an exact number. But I could easily feel the difference. It had to be at least 10-15hp at the wheels. But it will do more on the cobra.

matstang03

Established Member
Thanx Kevin, I think thats what i am gonna go w/ also. it seems like Bassani does a good job w/ the exhaust. I just gotta call now and get a price on everything.
Thanx

CWCobra

Established Member
/Putting my flame suit on/

I tried the FR-500 exhaust, and found no significant favorable difference from stock in either sound or SOTP performance. I did NOT do a dyno, either before or after. Later, I put the stock cat-back back on my '03. I actually like it better (no drone). I'm gonna sell the FR-500, if I can.

But here's where it gets interesting: while my car was up on jack stands, and with NO cat-back at all, I cranked her up, just to see what it would sound like with straight outs...no mufflers at all. It was EERILY quiet! Much quieter than my '97 which has off road H and stock cat-back.

My conclusion: the cat back makes little, if any, difference in sound or SOTP performance, compared to the H pipe.

I recommend leaving stock cat-back in place, and spending $ on hi-flow X pipe instead. Only after stock H is replaced should anyone fiddle with the cat-back.

/taking off flame suit/

Later,
CW

matstang03

Established Member
i actually decided i am gonna wait and be patient w/ the exhaust. the reason for that is because i talked to Magnaflow today on the phone, they said that in 2 months., they will have a complete exhaust set up, that guarentee's to give at least 30 hp. They said all other companies right now are using the basic design from the 01 cobra, which will give u 20 hp or so, but magnaflow said theres will give out 30 at the least. that is worth the wait. they are taking orders for it in a bout 2 weeks. worth the wait for me:thumbsup:

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Originally posted by CWCobra

But here's where it gets interesting: while my car was up on jack stands, and with NO cat-back at all, I cranked her up, just to see what it would sound like with straight outs...no mufflers at all. It was EERILY quiet! Much quieter than my '97 which has off road H and stock cat-back.

Interesting... I currently have a 2001 GT (waiting for the Cobra). I left the stock system except had the mufflers removed. When the car is idle, it is REALLY quiet, but as soon as I get on it, it gets loud.

It sounds good though - nice, low, meaningful growl... nothing tinny or raspy... just sounds like power. I'd be curious to see how the sound of the Cobra without mufflers compares.

StreetSnake

Established Member
I wouldnt do anything yet until somebody can post some solid dyno #s You hear so many different things BTW Bassani claims this set up that they are coming out with is also designed with the 03 in mind. Steeda claims with dyno #s that there set up gets 28 rwhp. Steedas cat back is made by Borla and the highflow catted pipe is made by Bassani. But that is also with a K&N filter and who knows if they took out the silencer also. That mod alone is reported to get 13-15 dynoed ponies so the actual gain on there set up would be approx 15 HP. So go figure:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread