Paddle shift feel on the GTs.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT!
Established Member
Hey Erbody! :beer:

I've been gone a good while from the Mustang scene; I only had my 08 GT for 6 months before I had to trade it in for a fam car. Finally going to reward myself with a 2015 GT in the next couple of months. I have a question about the paddle shifters on the automatics.

All the Mustangs I ever owned where manual; with that said, wondering if there will be a huge difference in performance versus just having a console shift? I only ask as my wife would like to get her mitts on the car once in a while so an automatic would be the way to go for her. I however am a purist and would rather teach her how to drive a manual. Problem is, that may be more difficult than just sucking it up and getting an auto. Nothing worse than getting something I really do not want.

So my question is if it is worth the switch. The new Stangs are so much advanced than my prior Pony cars so maybe it won't be so bad. I'd like to hear what people who did switch, yay or nay?

Last edited:

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
Auto is the way to go on 11 up cars, 15's are even better than prior. The rev matched downshifts in sport with an exhaust on the car brings a smile to your face every time it does it.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT!
Established Member
Auto is the way to go on 11 up cars, 15's are even better than prior. The rev matched downshifts in sport with an exhaust on the car brings a smile to your face every time it does it.

I heard the early China-made Getrag trans were problematic; is this still a problem? I am assuming that the 2015s use the same China-made unit?

Last edited:

stanglife0419

Established Member
I think we're skipping over a bigger issue here: you married someone that doesn't know how to drive a manual? Tsk tsk...lol.

Me personally, if I'm going to spend a good chunk of change on a car that is going to be primarily driven by me, it's going to be configured the way I want it. I would much rather teach her to drive manual than drive something I'm not happy with.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT!
Established Member
I think we're skipping over a bigger issue here: you married someone that doesn't know how to drive a manual? Tsk tsk...lol.

Me personally, if I'm going to spend a good chunk of change on a car that is going to be primarily driven by me, it's going to be configured the way I want it. I would much rather teach her to drive manual than drive something I'm not happy with.

I've been married 3 times; 3rd is my charmer and a keeper. Compared to the first 2, (both drove manual cars) she is worth getting myself auto.

But you are right, end of the day I gotta 110% love the car. She is willing to compromise, as long as I'm a happy guy.

weazer

Established Member
If he wants to track down a 50th Anniversary model, then he can get the PP and auto.

Anyone know if this is the case? My dealer said no as i inquired about it yesterday. He said its available on the Eco and V6 just not on the GT's.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Anyone know if this is the case? My dealer said no as i inquired about it yesterday. He said its available on the Eco and V6 just not on the GT's.

The 50th anniversary model (not appearance package, one of the 1964 P8R body code cars) can be auto with PP. They all have PP. Auto is an option. I know cause I have one. My first auto mustang and I love it. Granted I'm a 1/4 mile guy.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
The 50th anniversary model (not appearance package, one of the 1964 P8R body code cars) can be auto with PP. They all have PP. Auto is an option. I know cause I have one. My first auto mustang and I love it. Granted I'm a 1/4 mile guy.

Thank you for confirming that!

Anyone with the automatic, how is the response with the paddle shifters? Is it very delayed as soon as you pull the lever or is it rather fast?

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I've been married 3 times; 3rd is my charmer and a keeper. Compared to the first 2, (both drove manual cars) she is worth getting myself auto.

But you are right, end of the day I gotta 110% love the car. She is willing to compromise, as long as I'm a happy guy.

Compromise is key here... Buy the auto & put a TVS supercharger on it, Win/Win! Seriously, I used to be a die hard stick guy, now I love the A6 with boost...

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Compromise is key here... Buy the auto & put a TVS supercharger on it, Win/Win! Seriously, I used to be a die hard stick guy, now I love the A6 with boost...

I can't agree more. This is my first auto mustang. The paddles aren't perfect, but they fill the need for me shifting on twisties occasionally. But the auto with a PD blower is something to behold. I can't wait to finish up building my shop and get some paint on my factory five so I can get the 15 blown.

weazer

Established Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like everyone wants way more than MSRP for the 50th year cars. Are they worth it or should I just get a premium and go from there?

BADBOSS

Established Member
I have a 2012 boss and the just got a 2015 GT Vert. with auto for the wife. (yes she can drive the Boss quite well thank you!) We went with the auto and it is quite good but not perfect. The sport mode plus is fun, speed matched downshifts make you smile every time:) The paddle shifters work very well and i like that it goes to full auto if you forget to shift and then back to manual seamlessly. In drive mode the auto is luxury car smooth. My only nit with the auto is in sport mode. The transmission seems to get confused sometimes when you let of the gas or coast. It will hang on a gear or shift back and forth between gears. Otherwise the auto is fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread