Pilot bearing removal- no slide hammer needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Whenever changing out the clutch and flywheel or transmission it's always a good idea to replace the pilot bearing. This task can be rather difficult as I just found out. I borrowed a slide hammer from a local garage and beat on the pilot bearing until I was blue in the face. :nonono: The pilot bearing didn't move at all. :fm:

I decided to take a break and look for info online. I had heard of the method that requires you to pack the space behind the pilot bearing with grease and use a socket and hammer to drive the pilot bearing out. I never even considered this because I didn't want to deal with the greasy mess. :bored:

That's when I found this video on Youtube. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xuR7T8G1Ys"]YouTube- Pilot Bearing Removal ; Quick, Clean, and easy![/ame] :pop: The method in the video worked like a charm. I had the pilot bearing out in about 10 minutes compared to how I had used the slide hammer for probably a good 30-45 minutes and accomplished nothing.

I also added a piece of heavy plastic sheeting around the socket to get a better seal. Also, don't worry if the socket gets stuck grab a rachet and simply turn the socket to loosen it and remove it from the pilot bearing. Add more soaked paper pieces and hammer away until that :cuss: pilot bearing is out.

Hope this helps.
Anthony

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I tried using a pilot bearing puller from Advance Auto (free rental program is great) but it didn't work either. I didn't use wet paper though, although that worked well. I used bread w/the crust removed. And I used a clutch alignment tool to hammer the bread into the pilot bearing. Works quite well. And the bread is drier than using wet paper! All based on hydraulic pressure. Who knew bread can be a fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread