pinion angle on sn95

lazerred

Established Member
I have a 95 gts and i just pick up some ground pounder adjustable upper control arms. I was wondering what should i set my angle i want the best setting to get the car to hook really good from a dead stop. I have 315/35/17 nitto drag radials.:burnout: My suspension mods are box lower control arm with sub frame connectors and prem tokico shocks. The best i have done on these drags is 2.01 and on E.T. streets is a measly 1.720 60ft time:cuss: my car runs pretty strong on the big end just can't get to hook up!!!!!:eek:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Roger that. I should have this one tomorrow. I forgot to ask Tommy the other day when I was there. Sorry.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Almost forgot to ask how you are measuring the angle.

Are you using a straight edge and angle guage (best) or a gravity angle guage?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Measuring Pinion Angle:

Pinion angle is the difference between the centerline of the driveshaft and the centerline of the pinion shaft of the differential. To measure it you must be able to work under the car with the suspension fully loaded and the car level. A drive on lift works best for this.

Method "A" - (recommended)

Use an angle measuring gauge (adjustable protractor) to measure the difference between the pinion flange and the drive shaft directly. These gauges are available for under $10 from a hardware store. Place the edge of the gauge vertically against the front of the pinion flange, beside the driveshaft. Extend the measuring arm forward parallel to the bottom of the driveshaft. Extend a straight edge under the driveshaft to the measuring arm of the angle gauge. Hold the straight edge flat against the bottom of the driveshaft and adjust the measuring arm to read the angle. Depending on the gauge you use, you may have to subtract 90° from your reading to get the correct number. Your final measurement should be between 0 and 5. Examine the diagram at the bottom to determine if the pinion angle is nose up or nose down.
CHECK HERE FOR DETAILS

My -4 degrees comes from the second method, and it shold be your best bet for traction. This way is just easier to measure.

Users who are viewing this thread