Pony-projecting heated mirrors now installed :D

Action Bronson

Established Member
Thanks! I might have to pick up a set of these. They look a lot better in your pics than they do on the AM site. Did you have to pull the bumper to install these and did you remove the stock grilles as well?

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Thanks! I might have to pick up a set of these. They look a lot better in your pics than they do on the AM site. Did you have to pull the bumper to install these and did you remove the stock grilles as well?

Thanks, and yes I removed the bumper cover to be able to install them ... it's actually quite easy ... less than 20 minutes

The bottom grille stays in place, the new piece is an overlay. Top grille goes bye bye

Last edited:

Action Bronson

Established Member
Thanks, and yes I removed the bumper cover to be able to install them ... it's actually quite easy ... less than 20 minutes

The bottom grille stays in place, the new piece is an overlay. Top grille goes bye bye

Right on...just ordered the pair. Thanks for the heads up on the sale

greenscobie86

Established Member
Quick question to OP:

Do you have instructions on taking off the mirrors? Particularly the color coded caps?

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Quick question to OP:

Do you have instructions on taking off the mirrors? Particularly the color coded caps?

Unfortunately I don't. I will tell you that there are 4 tabs total, 2 on top, 1 on top/side toward the outer part of the mirror, and 1 on the lower part toward the inner part of the mirror (closer to the body of the car)

The top 3 tabs that are built into the cover are small plastic square tabs that, when the cover is snapped in place, they slide along the long horizontal tabs that can be seen at the top of the mirror in my first couple of pics. When they reach "home", the cover's tab falls over the edge of the horizontal mirror tab and that locks the cover in place.

I tilted the mirror glass all the way down so I'd have room at the top, used a long thin flat head screwdriver to reach in, was lightly pulling back on the painted cover as I reached in and with the top of the screwdriver I got between the cover and the mirror tab and got the top of the mirror tab to bend down enough so the cover tab could slide backward.

That worked for the top 3 tabs.

The bottom cover tab reaches into the mirror housing and clicks over a small plastic tab that then locks it in place. With the other 3 tabs loose, holding the cover back with my hand so it wouldn't snap locked on its own, I angled the glass away from the inner part of the mirror, stuck my screwdriver in there to reach the cover tab, lifted the cover tab so it would clear the mirror housing tab, then pushed onto the cover tab with the screwdriver so it would pop the cover off

Last edited:

greenscobie86

Established Member
Beautiful! Thanks a lot. Going to swap mirrors with someone who deodorant like their puddle pony lights and this will come in handy when doing the swaparoo. Cheers!

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Beautiful! Thanks a lot. Going to swap mirrors with someone who deodorant like their puddle pony lights and this will come in handy when doing the swaparoo. Cheers!

That's an awesome swap!

But what does deodorant have top do with things? Lol j/k ...

As far as removing the mirror itself, there's a plastic cover on the inside, it just pops on/off just gotta pull it off, then the 3 nuts holding the mirror on are right there. I've heard people say they're 11mm, but I'm pretty sure the wrench I used was a 7/16 ...

greenscobie86

Established Member
Sorry iphone autocorrect took over. Thanks for the tip bud! Sounds like an easy ordeal.

BLK_5.0

Established Member
Hey, I'm the other member that is a part of the swap lol. Was the driver side mirror any more difficult due to the little knob that controls the mirrors?

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Hey, I'm the other member that is a part of the swap lol. Was the driver side mirror any more difficult due to the little knob that controls the mirrors?

No, you just have another plug to undo. Once you undo the plug for the mirror, and the plug for the switch on the driver side, you just leave the harnesses there while making sure you don't stuff them down into the door panel, cuz you'd then have to remove the panel to fish them out.

The mirrors on these cars are less than 5 minutes to swap per side, I shudder when I remember that I've charged customers an hour's labor ($110) as a Service Advisor a couple years ago, to do the job ... I'm sure the tech loved that ticket, lol

I got the first 2 pics below off the Internet, the others below from a thread on Mustang Source, a guy on there recently did this swap and he got me thinking, lol

mirror-trim6_zps549f98f3.jpg

mirror-trim5_zpse648f72d.jpg

mirrors1_zps1f29ca85.jpg

mirrors2_zps0eceeac9.jpg

mirrors3_zpsdbadc411.jpg

mirrors4_zps71283313.jpg

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Ha sorry. I didn't read the whole thread once I saw the pics.

Lol, no prob, it happens :)

Awesome Man thanks for the detailed photos and explanation.

You're welcome.

I got a very early start on mirror-swapping on my car since it was delivered with the passenger-side mirror broken in transit ... I installed the new one myself since I was working as a Service Advisor at the dealership at the time ...

BLK_5.0

Established Member
thanks for all the info! makes me feel a whole lot better about doing the swap. Just gotta make sure I don't lose the harness in the door haha

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
thanks for all the info! makes me feel a whole lot better about doing the swap. Just gotta make sure I don't lose the harness in the door haha

lol, you're welcome .... and that's pretty hard to do, you'd have to manually push that in there yourself ...

Users who are viewing this thread